Some Canloan BD's from the Canadian War Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
    Every time I am in Ottawa, I go to visite that museum. I particularly like the WW1 part. To bad lots of the german stuff is fake (like that SS trooper).
    JL
    You mean this one? I thought the cigarette was a partcularly nice touch. Well I won't bother posting this one in the SS forum now...Thanks for the heads-up Jean-Loup.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nay, I was talking about the chap with the Panzerfaust, and the coulerfull uniform.
      Did you go to the "Vimy House". It is also in Ottawa, and thats where all the military vehicles are. Its quite interesting, free(I think), and they have a few uniforms as well.
      JL

Comment

One more: Not a Canloan BD, but a complete mannequin dressed as a soldier from the Regiment de la Chaudiere during the Normandy campaign. Both the people of Normandy and the French Canadian soldiers were pleasantly surprised to find out that they spoke the same dialect of French. The ancestors of the French Canadians, who came to New France in the 16th and 17th Centuries, were mostly from Normandy.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice mannequins...I must visit this museum before I die

Is that an SS Zeltbahn rolled under the webbing small pack?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
            Nay, I was talking about the chap with the Panzerfaust, and the coulerfull uniform.
            Did you go to the "Vimy House". It is also in Ottawa, and thats where all the military vehicles are. Its quite interesting, free(I think), and they have a few uniforms as well.
            JL
            I didn't see that chap, Jean-Loup. However, quite a few displays have been taken down in anticipation of the move to the new building next year. I've been to Vimy House before, but not on this trip. I'll be sure to post lots of pics next time I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton

Thanks from Jack.
              If you ever visit us in the Colonies, Jack, I'll take you there myself! Well, worth a visit.

Comment

Great photos Geoff!

Brings back memories of my visit there a few years ago. Is Hitler's limo still on display? I always thought that was quite the impressive piece to have on display.

I had heard that they had a display on the Canadians who served in the Spanish Civil War, and was somewhat disappointed to find only and single mannequin and very brief write up about the "Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion". Hopefully this section will be expanded in the new museum. I have an interest due to family history...

I'm wondering if the QOR BD is in fact to a officer Seconded to a British unit rather than serving with them under the CANLOAN programme? It seems odd that he would have worn a Canadian-badged uniform if part of a British unit.

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett
                  Great photos Geoff!

Brings back memories of my visit there a few years ago. Is Hitler's limo still on display? I always thought that was quite the impressive piece to have on display.

I had heard that they had a display on the Canadians who served in the Spanish Civil War, and was somewhat disappointed to find only and single mannequin and very brief write up about the "Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion". Hopefully this section will be expanded in the new museum. I have an interest due to family history...

I'm wondering if the QOR BD is in fact to a officer Seconded to a British unit rather than serving with them under the CANLOAN programme? It seems odd that he would have worn a Canadian-badged uniform if part of a British unit.

Cheers!

Adam
                  The Hitler limo is currently being moved to the new site, so I didn't get a chance to see it. I didn't see a thing on Mac-Paps so hopefully that will be addressed at the new museum. I had the same thoughts on the QOR BD, I guess they threw it in the display due to the British Corps patch on it.

That's interesting that you have a relative that fought in the Spanish Civil war! Might make an interesting thread, Adam!

Comment

Geoff,

Too bad you didn't get to see the limo, it's quite a nice piece of kit! However, I'm sure it will be prominently displayed in the new facility...

Yes my great-uncle, whom my father is named after went over and fought in Spain, then joined the British army afterwards. He never returned to Canada. Ended up in Singapore before the outbreak of hostilities in the Far-East and was captured by the Japanese when Singapore fell. He died as a POW working on the Siam-Burma railway and is buried in Thailand about 2km from the "Kwai Bridge" of movie fame... He's got an interesting story, I'll have to work on a thread about him and show some of the items I have inherited...they are all that remain of his legacy. I'm actually applying for a Memorial Cross as according to the statutes his NOK would have been entitled to one, however, as we all know the red tape and bureaucracy to get the government to do anything can be rather frustrating!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton

Thanks from Jack.
                      Hi Jack, not a Zeltbahn that is the anti gas cape. These came in plain green and a version that was camo'ed green and brown. They can be worn either under the small pack or on top of the small pack.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Adam, I would really like to hear about your Great Uncle. I think a thread is certainly in order!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Last edited by DJT; 04-19-2009, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Any chance of seeing more pictures of these blouses?

Thanks for posting such a nice selection of formation signs and regimental flashes. Interesting to glimpse the green and yellow slip-on worn by HQ coy 1 HLI ( it’s between the Border’s and Wiltshires’ battledresses).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Any chance of seeing more pictures of these blouses?

Comment

If the Regiment de la chaudière manaquin is bad, and the 2 SS manequins are bad, and the helmets worn by the two germans in the D Day displays are bad; then what is good in the museum??
                              Well, at least they have that bullet ridden jeep from Yougoslavia that is really interesting; and the displays are nice.
                              JL

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                                Hi Jack, not a Zeltbahn that is the anti gas cape. These came in plain green and a version that was camo'ed green and brown. They can be worn either under the small pack or on top of the small pack.

Cheers, Ade.
                                Oh well I thought it was a captured bit
                                You know, SS Zeltbahn taken from a Hitlerjugend soldier on D-Day

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X