RAC Group, beret emblem question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAC Group, beret emblem question

I bought a 1943 dated Indian made RAC BD (includes ribbon bar with Africa and Italy star) Warrant Officer rank
    with his dog tags and 1944 dated Black tanker beret.
    Unfortunately one sleeve was the W.O rank missing so I need help finding one...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 10-28-2011, 10:43 PM.

Here's the beret: (sorry about the flash reflection on the insignia...it is 100% real.
    (beret btw is a very small size...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 10-28-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

The dog tags...researchable?
      S.H. Turner (Name)
      C.E. (??)
      6 R.A.C. (Royal Armoured Corps) might read G. R.A.C.
      14712252 (Serial Number)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Here's my main question: (besides looking for a missing W.O. sleeve insignia and researching the dog tag)

What's the difference between the RAC "knight's gauntlet" RAC insignia
        and the "Rotal Tank Regiment" insignia with the WW1 tank ?
        What unit used which one? or did one design supersede the other?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          Here's my main question: (besides looking for a missing W.O. sleeve insignia and researching the dog tag)

What's the difference between the RAC "knight's gauntlet" RAC insignia
          and the "Rotal Tank Regiment" insignia with the WW1 tank ?
          What unit used which one? or did one design supersede the other?
          The Royal Armoured Corps encompassed regiments, as such the Royal Tank Regiment was (is) part of the Royal Armoured Corps.

All you need do is find out who wore the RAC badge. I find it sticks in the mind a little better if you work for the answer.

Comment

"C E" is "Church of England". All British and Canadian, Aussie & Kiwi dog tags listed religion.

In fact, German nationals and Jewish members of Number 10 Commando RM who came from occupied Europe usually wore tags with Scottish names and "P" for "Presbyterian" when engaged in raiding German occupied Europe, to avoid retaliation against relatives still in Europe. A Scots lady I knew - married a Cdn soldier - spoke good French and so got to know Free Polish commandos who rejoiced in 'official' names such as "McTavish"! Truth is stranger than fiction!

Unfortunately, researching WWII soldiers is tricky, beyond the basics, due to the privacy rules but you should be able to identify his unit at least from public records. You might consider looking around for someone who has access to RAC or tank regimental regimental histories - a warrant officer might be 'high' enough up to feature in such.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys !
              Never would have guessed that..CE being Church of England! On the back of both tags it shows a "P" for Presbyterian...
              I was thinking Protestant... Close enough!
              The hunt continues for a matching Warrant Officer sleeve rank!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X