No announcement yet.

Thread for Cold War British militaria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me ........you cannot beat a nice bit of Brit kit from NI ........1970 .......1990 .

As I lived in Belfast at the time , it was always a joy to see different uniform combinations being worn.

as a rule of thumb , Para always wore baggy uniforms , unless wearing the green trousers , shame when the old camouflage smocks were phased out though .
    Marines were VERY neat , with suntans , something that stuck out alot , considering everyone is pasty paddies ,
    Black watch , just were hard men .

Guards were always gentlemen .

Taffs were taffs dropping flash lights and having a wee search looking for them , cool berets though .

Green jackets .....always were cool in fitted DPM jackets , with clean 58 gear .

MPs always looked but you never made eye contact !

The cool squaddie ALWAYS had a 44 pattern water bottle cover on his belt kit .

Comment

HI good evening - I for one would love to see a post war - cold war section , Borneo , Cyprus ,Northern Ireland etc
      Its over 40 years since 1969 when the last round of fighting started I Ulster .

Im trying to get a former guardsman who served several tours over there to sell me his kit he has Irish IRA propaganda leaflets , posters , his army street maps marked up with check points but of real interest is his army issue poncho the 58 patt with the hood and press studs down the edges his company got a Belfast tailor to convert a batch in to rain coats by putting zips up the middle and stitching the sides up , a great item rare non issue post war kit .

just out of interest , i have listed a post war Intelligence Corps document lot for sale on my website www.grandads-kitbag.com might be of interest to some of you ...... regards,MICHAEL.
      Last edited by GEORGE22; 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your post. I hope to see the maps and other items if you are able to acquire them.

Originally posted by GEORGE22 View Post
        HI good evening - I for one would love to see a post war - cold war section , Borneo , Cyprus ,Northern Ireland etc

Im trying to get a former guardsman who served several tours over there to sell me his kit he has Irish IRA propaganda leaflets , posters , his army street maps marked up with check points but of real interest is his army issue poncho the 58 patt with the hood and press studs down the edges his company got a Belfast tailor to convert a batch in to rain coats by putting zips up the middle and stitching the sides up , a great item rare non issue post war kit .

just out of interest , i have listed a post war Intelligence Corps document lot for sale on my website www.grandads-kitbag.com might be of interest to some of you ...... regards,MICHAEL.
        Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Originally posted by GEORGE22 View Post

Don't forget Berlin,
          We were the Center of the Cold War's Universe.

Comment

check out these re-enactor groups - i have found their sites very useful for researching the kit i collect:

www.forces80.com

www.crusader80.co.uk

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 08-30-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I've got all those cards on a NIAM wallet but they are all printed on laminated card and ring bound on the aide memoire.

I've not seen many about tbh

Normally they are all kept together in an indexed plastic folder.

I'll try and photo my set this weekend.

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 08-30-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

The UDR slip on is cool !

Great to see the number place year card !

My old man had some of those .

Overall very cool paperwork .

owen

Comment

Last edited by chiffonnier; 08-30-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Regardless of them dating from the '70s, those are still RESTRICTED docs - the contents of which are still applicable in more than one instance. Just an observation. God I feel old.

Comment

Translation by google:
                          Hello,
                          was that worn by the troops in Germany?
                          Thanks for your answers. Greeting Schlutup

http://www.ebay.de/itm/151182016059?...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X