British helmet marking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British helmet marking

Can anyone tell me what this helmet marking symbolizes? 1941 dated. I tried looking up tactical symbols for the British units in WW2 but could not find anything online.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Attached Files

Hi. I think you will find that this is a Greek letter 'Y' and also the number 400. A bit of further research from here may help you. The 400 may be a Rgt or division of a Greek Battalion. Good luck and let me know how you get on. Roy

Upsilon (uppercase Υ, lowercase υ; Greek: Ύψιλον, Úpsilon) is the 20th letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 400. It is derived from the Phoenician waw. The name of the letter is pronounced [ˈipsilon] in Modern Greek,

Comment

The helmet is Canadian. Also this sign maybe is also Canadian...
      Piotrek

Comment

Thank you both. Im researching the Canadian aspect. The greek path turned up nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by pickled frog View Post
          Hi. I think you will find that this is a Greek letter 'Y' and also the number 400. A bit of further research from here may help you. The 400 may be a Rgt or division of a Greek Battalion. Good luck and let me know how you get on. Roy

Upsilon (uppercase Υ, lowercase υ; Greek: Ύψιλον, Úpsilon) is the 20th letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 400. It is derived from the Phoenician waw. The name of the letter is pronounced [ˈipsilon] in Modern Greek,
          I think that it actually looks more like the zodiac symbol of Aries than the letter Ypsilon.

Originally posted by ppp.p View Post
          The helmet is Canadian. Also this sign maybe is also Canadian...
          Piotrek
          That said, I found some reference about Canadian formations using a ram's head as their formation sign (1st Armored Brigade for example). Maybe it is a simplified way of painting the ram's head? Just a guess, as I haven't found any exact reference. Maybe someone of the more knowledgeable members will have the answer!

Best regards,
          Giorgos

PS: I can confirm that to the best of my knowledge, it has no connection to the Greek army of the period.

Comment

p

Possibly a "stylised" rams head .... if so the Canadian connection might be ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Service_Battalion

(WW2 being the RCASC)

Gary J.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X