White painted Wolseley pattern Pith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White painted Wolseley pattern Pith

I picked this one up today for not a lot of money, but I am not certain as to when it dates from, though post WWII seems a possibility. It has a narrow band and sadly the liner/sweat band has been replaced with some leather, so there are no ink or impressed stamps. The inner dome is a pale off-white colour, that might have been light tan originally, though it is hard to be certain. It has the cloth edging trim usually seen on OR's WD issued examples and has two holes in the front where a badge was attached at some time during it's history.

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed.

Regards,

Jerry
    Attached Files

Some more pics.

Regards,

Jerry
    Attached Files

Comment

Years ago I briefly owned a helmet very like this one, right down to the white paint over a tan original cover. It had belonged to the band of one of the militia regiments in Toronto [Canada]. If memory serves, it was the Royal Canadian Signal Corps or Engineers, whose band wore blue "patrols" and white helmets. In fact, I think they still do.

Mine had a puggree made of red and blue strips of some kind of plastic, pinned to the helmet with straight pins. I, perhaps stupidly, took it off then decided I didn't like the helmet any more and disposed of it. However, that kind of headress is quite common to military and police bands in the Commonwealth even today.

Hope this helps.
      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
        Years ago I briefly owned a helmet very like this one, right down to the white paint over a tan original cover. It had belonged to the band of one of the militia regiments in Toronto [Canada]. If memory serves, it was the Royal Canadian Signal Corps or Engineers, whose band wore blue "patrols" and white helmets. In fact, I think they still do.

Mine had a puggree made of red and blue strips of some kind of plastic, pinned to the helmet with straight pins. I, perhaps stupidly, took it off then decided I didn't like the helmet any more and disposed of it. However, that kind of headress is quite common to military and police bands in the Commonwealth even today.

Hope this helps.
        Peter
        Thanks Peter, it is the sort of thing I expect it to have been used for, MP's or Band, but when is the question.

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

Yes, dating is tricky! Were they used 'back in the day;, as the kids say, or in modern times to make the uniforms look older. no easy answer to that one, I'm afraid.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X