Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victorian Naval Buckle

Hi all
    Just received this today,bought it as a Victorian Crown Naval Buckle.
    Hopefully this is the right forum for this buckle.
    Could someone please help me out and tell me what exactly I have and also the years that it may have been worn.
    And wondering if the leather (which has just about fallen off) is original to the buckle.
    Thanks for any help.
    Regards
    Spike
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi all
      Can anyone help me out,even a clue.
      Thanks
      Spike

Comment

Not got much of a clue on these but looks more WW2 to me.

Comment

I would agree that it does not look Victorian, unless quite late in that period. The leather belt is definitely 20th century - no rivets used in Victorian belts, at least not that style. Sorry!

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies.
            I did think something was up with the rivets,but you never know until you ask.
            I may place it on the International forum and see what comes up from there.
            Thanks again
            Regards
            Spike

Comment

Its a Victorian buckle, has the vicky queens crown, as for the belt i havent a clue but theres not much left anyway and you have a goos vicky buckle to go with Pete.

Comment

Hi dragnet
                Thanks mate for your input.
                I have been searching on the computer,but havn't come up with anything concrete until you replied.
                A number of buckles that are similar have shown up,but with no reverse photos and different type of belt set up.
                Thanks again much appreciated.
                Regards
                Spike

Comment

Definitely a Victorian buckle sadly missing it's other half. The belt though is wrong. Naval officers "Carry" their swords and as such the belt is worn under the jacket with long hangers. This belt is black leather. With the frock coat the sword belt was worn on the outside and was gold braided, in the interests of economy the belts were interchangeable.

The frock coat has long gone except for Admirals so all you see these days is the black leather belt.

The only exception to the "carry" is an officer bearing the colours who has his sword suspended. This results in a nasty hole in his left hand pocket, which probably accounts for naval officers never carrying money on a run ashore.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

Hi Jim
                    Your replies have helped heaps,thanks.
                    I was unsure if the buckle was original or not.
                    I don't know what these are worth normally,I didn't pay too much for it anyway,I think.
                    Anyway,thanks to all that have replied,much appreciated.
                    Best Regards
                    Spike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X