Water Carrier Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Carrier Question

Got some of these and wonder who's using them. Is it a RAF Survival Item?
    Attached Files

Waist Strap, when used as a shoulder Bag?
    Attached Files

Comment

The NSN says it isn't

8465 - Individual Equipment

Usually one sees the survival stuff under

8475 - Specialized Flight Clothing and Accessories

or sometimes under

4240 - Safety and Rescue Equipment

Comment

I know, but I don't think that everybody get's one of these Carriers. Maybe we find out.

Comment

Is it one of those water carriers that *very* slowly leak and cools the water by evaporation?

They started using those with chindit type units in the 40s and kept on issuing them to troops in arid and tropical climates.

Cant recall the name of them now something like chagil i think

Comment

Originally posted by GHarvey View Post
            Is it one of those water carriers that *very* slowly leak and cools the water by evaporation?

They started using those with chindit type units in the 40s and kept on issuing them to troops in arid and tropical climates.

That's what I thought, too, a later, improved pattern of these water carriers. I have seen them spelled "Chargall", "Chargull" etc., so I don't know what the right spelling is. I was told they were stored in vehicles, as due to their leaking, they were impractical to carry.

Best regards,
            Giorgos

Here's one of these "early" ones from my collection.

Comment

We used "chagalls" in the deserts in the Middle East and the reason they were carried on the outside of vehicles is to aid cooling and evaporation using the breeze created as you drive. Usually we would keep one hanging in front of the radiator grill as you had the added help of the fan pulling air through the radiator. I still use them on my sorties in my jeep in the deserts here in California. The word "chagall" or "chugell" is just the phonetic rendition of the Arabic word for the goatskins they use for the same purpose, it has no real proper English spelling to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by GHarvey View Post

The black ones are made of some rubbereised Material and I think they can't leak like the Cotton ones. I also have some new ones of them. I saw some Pics where they carried them, tied to the Bumper to get some extra cooling.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X