Can. battledress with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can. battledress with questions

From yesterdays fleamarket - have never had a canadian one before. Are the insignia correct, placed right? What is their meaning? Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice Canadian BD but the patches are not any CW ones I have seen before though the are one might be a medic or alike.

Perhaps a Tito partisan jacket (the did have some CW equipment)
        there was also an Argentinian volunteer unit in the RAF that could match but both are just guesses

Could be post war Greek or even Portuguese??

Replacement Uniform for repatriated/liberated Allied POW?

Comment

An obvious Canadian BD from 1943 but as stated already definitely foreign insignia!
          Certainly not commonwealth related! A Tito forces medic is not too far fetched!

Comment

Digging deeper into this theory (partisan used? ) its a long shot... but look at the images!
            (credit; Nat'l Archive Wash.DC)
            They used a lot of Allied supplied BD's. Could also be from a movie of course...hard to prove!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thats an incredible find . I have seen photos of insignia on the back like that before but I cant remember where ? I thought Polish medic ? Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I know nothing about the partisans but I'm fairly sure its not Polish: collar point devices were typically rectangles, not squares, or swallow tailed, like a lance pennant, on polish uniforms. Also, a rank patch [?] on the back of the tunic is very odd. It makes sense if you don't want the enemy to ID your officers - the US did it for helmets, I think, but I've never seen any suggestion that the poles did.

My two cents worth. If it is partisan, I suspect you may be talking big bucks!

Peter

Comment

Definitely NOT Polish.

Comment

Well, the movie "Force 10 from Navarone" was made with Heavy assistance from the Government in Yugolsavia and the JNA. Every Partisan movie, of the probabaly 30-40 I know of they made is usually pretty accurate as to the Uniforms where they had it and with the Partisan stuff they always made the real effort on the uniforms of the Partisans, although mostly you only see Officers Uniforms and common hats with stars sewn on them. So here the character Lescovar seems to be wearing your Collar tabs at least. Why there is a Medics badge on it I have no idea but I'm sure they would have worn one if they could get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtd8W..._order&list=UL

Pete
                    Attached Files

Comment

They were portraying Yugoslavian partisans in this movie!
                      Compare with officer's uniform in period Tito picture (post # 6)

Who knows? Real? Movie prop?
                      Note how the neck area is lined to make it more comfortable (less itchy) to wear....
                      Officer improvement? (or done for the actor to wear modified like this?)
                      If real and found in Germany, perhaps a German vet souvenir from his Partisan fighting days?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NickG; 10-07-2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Most of the Partisan movie stuff, and all period stuff I am told was from Jadran Film in Zagreb. They still have all the material props from these movies, I am sure if you wrote the studio they might be able to show you badges like this or even a blouse like this. Some of these films are a bit funny with electric guitars as the background to WW2 action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ev7...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0YjGOHyEn0 (Battle of Neretva)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13xa6...173E677B8652AE (Kozara)

Pete
                        Last edited by pete; 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

As well there was 352 Yugoslav squadron in the RAF. The Medics badge I have been looking around to see where it comes from even if it is a modified axis one.

Pete

Comment

I thought the medics patch looked like a modified Axis one at first glance.

Nice find! Very interesting thread! I hope it is a Partisan used tunic.

Comment

Well the Partisans did end up in Austria as they were chasing the remnants of the NDH, Chetnicks, Cossacks and German forces ending up in the Blieburg area. So if this was found in Bavaria, it is possible. They did not have standard anything in the partisans, maybe ranks like this but only Officers would have worn ranks. Thus if they didnt have a Medics badge, they could have made one out of a captured Uniform etc. Plausable but we will look further. Anything clothing from WW2 in Yugoslavia is rare if it survived. I have tried to sell off my Ustasa Leather jacket and a pair of Breeches and people just dont seem to grasp how hard these things are to find, especially Croatian or German items. Plus there was even another War in the Balkans after WW2.

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X