MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panoramic unit photographs of 1st Airborne Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panoramic unit photographs of 1st Airborne Div.

Hi Guys, I thought that I would post up a couple of pics of a new item in my collection. I am very interested in the "Pathfinders" of 21st Indep. Para. Coy. as you may well know.

A few weeks ago one of the Vets of the unit, Laurie "Solly" Scott G.M. telephoned me to say was I interested in having a copy of their unit photograph? Solly knew I was keen to obtain this photo The wife of a former member of the unit, Sgt. Phill Eden, had passed away and the executors of her will wished the photo to go to a member of the Vets association, of which I am an honourary member. So you can imagine that I was very pleased to think that the Vets thought of me. So at the reunion a few weeks ago I was given the photograph. The Vets had a great time putting names to the faces in the picture. Even Major Wilson's pet dog was named!

Cheers, Ade.

Here you can see Major "Boy" Wilson together with his dog "Sheba". Seated on the far right and just visable is Sgt "Val Allerton". Even then he was living a lie. His real name was Gerald Theodore Lamarque. He was commisioned later in the War and in the 1960's was jailed for murder. He wrote a well known novel about Arnhem,written during his time in prison, called "The Cauldron" under the pen name "Zeno". By all accounts he was a great soldier. He died in 1978. I hope to meeet his wife & daughter later this year.

Sniper Tony Crane can be seen in the front row just about the parachute. Photos of Tony today can be found in the LH forum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 06-05-2004, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Ade, what a nice gift

I'm sure it's touching when they give you something like that. I know I felt honoured when I was given something by a vet.

Can you tell me anything about the murder Sgt. Val Allerton committed? I'd love to know more about it.

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Hi Jack, I thought you would like it. I had even tried to find out if the photograhic studio still exsisted to try and get a copy made (this studio did photos of all the units of 1st A/B Div.) Sadly, as I had expected, it closed many years ago and the negs are now lost.

Not every man of the unit was present on the photo. Some were on leave like Stan Sullivan who was getting married or others were skiving like Don Turner who thinks he sneaked off to play football!

Kenneth Sidney "Val" Allerton was certainly one of the most interesting men of the unit and that is saying something. Solly Scott said he "could do anything you could do and better".

The murder was a stabbing of a man called Eric Batty in 1958. This chap had been having an affair with Val's girlfriend. He simply walked in on them and stabbed him in the side. As it was considered a "crime of passion" he got away with life as opposed to being hung.

If you, or anyone else, would like some scans, I have a four page magazine article about him. This is only a photocopy as the article was written in the late 1970's. Don Turner kindly gave me them. The scans are huge, around 1 megabite each, in order to make them readable. So please ensure you have enough space to accept them in an email It includes a nice pic of him as an Officer in KD's. He later served with 6th A/B Div.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is another one from my collection. This time the photo is of "S" Coy. 7th Battl. KOSB. These men were the Vickers MMG gunners, 3" inch motar crews and 6 Pdr A/T Gunners.

Comment

Close up. Interesting none seem to wear the "Airborne" strip. Very few wear the glider troopers badge either. Many of the men are replacements as witnessed by the lack of ribbon bars.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Very interesting story and I'd love to hear more about him

The photos are really nice and would make a great set. I believe they also did all the units of the 6th A/B as well.

"Close up. Interesting none seem to wear the "Airborne" strip. Very few wear the glider troopers badge either. Many of the men are replacements as witnessed by the lack of ribbon bars."

And more importantly, I bet none wear dodgy tartan backings behind their KOSB badges!

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Ade,

Wonderful photographs, thanks for sharing! I always loved unit photographs myself and have quite a few to my regiment (the Black Watch of Canada), mostly from WWI but a couple earlier and a few later as well.

What frustrates me is that these rarely have a list of names...which would add so much to doing research on the unit. It's always so nice to attach a face to a name!

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Hi Ade,

Great photos, I would be interesting in you sending me the article you mentioned, why had he signed up under a different name? You also mentioned that he was living a lie then, please tell me more.
                  Thanks
                  Regards
                  Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Did'nt "Zeno" also write a book called "The Four Sergeants" or similar? I read it years ago, I think it was about 4 men on a behind the lines mission. If you're a WWII Para fan it will appeal.

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

Here is a link I found tonight which has an extract from "The Cauldron" :
                      http://www.bafa.org.au/Arnhem/azeno.htm

Hi Adam, that is the trouble with the KOSB photo, I only have a handful of names.

Hi Leigh, You are correct, he did write several other books: 'Play Dirty' (1969) 'Grab' (1970) 'The Four Sergeants' (1978) I have not read these. ("Play Dirty" was the same story made into a film about a raid on a DAK fuel dump, with Michael Caine and Nigel Davenport.)

Hi Simon, drop me a pm with your e mail and I will send you the scans. The living a lie comment was made because he embezzeled some money, aged 15, from his school and did a runner. He then joined the Royal Dragoons but went AWOL days before the outbreak of war. He was charged with stealing two cars and being AWOL. In 1941 he was in trouble again as he knicked some of the Mess silver and a cheque book. He escaped from Military prison in Carrickfergus. To evade capture, he joined up again (!) but under the assumed name of an old school friend, Kenneth Sidney Allerton.

Cheers, Ade.
                      Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Awsome Photos Mate.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Not directly linked with this, but a new member of the forum has a Airborne Arnham website, I have only had a quick look, but seems good.

well done Peter

http://home.wxs.nl/~peter.vrolijk/frontpage.html
                          Regards
                          Si

Comment

Ade,

Catching up with p/wk, I send you pm re my email to send me the info

Thanks
                            Regards
                            Si

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X