Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Par Wing

Hi people,

Got this one off ebay and I would be interested to know what it is, if anyone knows?

I know you probably all saw me bidding on this and thinking..."What the hell is he bidding on that for?"....

Thanks from Jack.

Back.

Comment

i believe i was yhe under bidder !!

(((lol)))... i would take a guess Pakistani Air Force circa 1945 just prior to independance.

Regards
      WW1wingman

Comment

It is a small world! Sorry about that!

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

What does the PAR stand for?

Cheers from Jack.

Comment

back again..

I thought it was Pakistan Air Reserve,i may be wrong...!! i let you win !!!! too many projects on at present (((lol)) its original though and worthy of a little more research !!

regards
            steve

Comment

Hi Guys, Very odd item. I have never seen anything like it before. Pakistan did not exsist until 1948.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Bizarre item indeed. It 'looks' Indo-Pakistani, but the King's crown is an oddity. As for PAR, the only thing I can think of is that it's some kind of unofficial/prototype parachute instructors' wings. Odd one.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I tend to agree with you Tony (Hey thats the first time I've agreed with what a Tony has said ) that it is some unofficial/prototype parachute instructors' wings.

I would like to rule out Pakistan altogether because when it was created it had no connection with the British, did it? Wasn't it independent or something?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

pondering...

I think you will find it stayed in the commonwealth,and continued to use similiar rank and padges as per the British army. I have seen a similiar wing with IAF "Indian Air Force" and yes kings crown. The construction looks early 50s,i may be wrong...my leaning is still towards PAKISTAN, circa independance time 1948 up to about 1952.

PAR for parachute ,definetly disagree especially with a double wing implying flight.
                    regards
                    steve

Comment

The Pakistan Air Force used the 'Royal' prefix (and the crown) between 1947 and 1956. I just don't understand why the wings have PAR rather than RPAF. As Steve says, the Indian Air Force was also the RIAF for a short time and also used the crown - despite independence.

Most parachute wings 'imply' flight. The only single winger I can think of is the RAF PJI's brevet. I'm sure someone will positively ID this, but I'm convinced it's from the sub-continent - whatever it is.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Tony Farrell; 06-06-2004, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X