Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Cane?

Hello

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this cane.

It is approximately 12/16 inches in length with a metal tip at the bottom and a metal top with a design on it.

The top design is St George slaying the dragon with the roman numeral V underneath this. I assume this is for King George the Fifth so putting the cane in the British WW1 era.

If it helps confirm the use of this cane then my great uncle served with the Black Watch during WW1 so it may belong to him but I'm not sure. He was killed in France and I also have his notice of death card sent to his parents.

Thanks
    Jim
    Attached Files

it's a Regimental swagger stick and the markings on the top are regimental, type the motto into google and see which regiment comes up.RMR

Comment

And the "V" probably refers to a battalion number, either from WWI or for a Territorial battalion in an earlier period. In the late Victorian period, carrying swagger sticks/canes became popular for all ranks when off duty, though on duty of course they were restricted to drill instructors, sergeants major and perhaps officers.

You see them in photos from the 1880s onwards, but I think the custom died out after WWI - not nearly so 'romantic' to be a soldier after that. nice piece!

Comment

Gents

Thanks for your time to reply. So it is a swagger stick!

For your information the motto is "Quo Fata Vocant" (Whither Fates Call) which is the motto of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.

I have attached the regimental badge which shows the same image on the swagger stick of St George and the dragon.

I assumed the V was for King George the fifth but it may be the battalion number.

Most interesting and something for me to research now.

Best wishes
        Jim
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X