Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Guards tunic

HI,

Here is a tunic a picked-up awhile back. Would like help regarding unit info for WW2 and Korea. That is to say, what was this guy up too?

Also has the belt, I can't find any name, or writing.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Well he wouldn't of been in the Can Guards in WWII. They didn't exist then.

The regiment was only raised in 53 and gone in 70.

Lovely tunic

Comment

disbanded 1968 I believe with the QOR and BLACK WATCH

PAUL

Comment

Final Disbanding Parade was 1970, QOR and RHR where not disbanded but moved from the Permanent Force to the Militia. Both are still very much alive.

The funny thing is that Can Gaurds may be long gone but their uniforms stayed in the forces and are still used today the the GGFG and GG suring the Ceremonial Guard on the Hill.

Comment

Very interesting...so this guy would have served with QOR or RHR during the War? or in Korea? or both?
            or neither?

Comment

Possibly?

Possibly he served with the Canadian Grenadier Guards during the war AND then moved to the 1 Canadian Guards. He could have served in any unit in WW 2. Did they reinstate the wearing the shoulder titles on service dress after the war or is it a guard thing? Shoulder titles were removed from service dress in 1942.

Ken

Originally posted by stross View Post
              Very interesting...so this guy would have served with QOR or RHR during the War? or in Korea? or both?
              or neither?

Comment

Impossible to say which unit he served in, but we can say which unit he did not. He doesn't have the Italy star so that sort of excludes all the usual reg-force units, RCR, PPCLI, 8th hussars QOR etc.

I would say the RHR is out as well as a highlander would never lower himself down to join a Guards unit

Comment

when they formed the guards all infantry battalions where canvased and some where offered promotion to transfer as they often did with the airborne. I know several PATRICIAS of a certain height went over then returned in 1968 when they stood down and it was 1968 that drafts from these units appeared at the RCR AND PPCLI battalions . I remember it was a hard time with us in 2PPCLI GERMANY WITH ALL THESE ANGRY rebadged guys sulking around the base

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X