Unofficial WW2 "Ireland" shoulder titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unofficial WW2 "Ireland" shoulder titles

Hi Guys, just heard from of the Vets I know from the 21st Indep. Para. Coy that a couple of the lads in the unit, Lofty Dinsdale and Paddy O'Sullivan both used to wear non regulation "Ireland" shoulder titles on their best BD's. They were ordered several times to remove them. Both were killed in Normandy while serving with 6th A/B Divisions "Pathfinders", 22nd Indep. Para. Coy.

Has anyone got one of these titles to share? I have never seen on before? I would imagine they were khaki with light coloured lettering?

Cheers, Ade.

That is really interesting Adrian. I would love to know what these titles looked like.

Comment

Very interesting to know that Ade. Thanks.

I don't have an example to share with you, unfortunately.

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

cloth IRELAND shoulder titles

Hiya ,
        just trawling through a few of the old threads and came across this one about the cloth IRELAND shoulder titles worn by the two lads in the 22nd ...now that is very interesting !!!!!

Do you think they had a couple of sets made up ...... or does this beg the question that a title may have existed ,how ever briefly , for any IRISH volunteers who served in the british army ?? can any one remember if there is an IRELAND title for R.A.F personel??
        many thanks for sharing this info ,Michael.

Originally posted by Jack Dutton
        Very interesting to know that Ade. Thanks.

I don't have an example to share with you, unfortunately.

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
          Hiya ,
          just trawling through a few of the old threads and came across this one about the cloth IRELAND shoulder titles worn by the two lads in the 22nd ...now that is very interesting !!!!!

Do you think they had a couple of sets made up ...... or does this beg the question that a title may have existed ,how ever briefly , for any IRISH volunteers who served in the british army ?? can any one remember if there is an IRELAND title for R.A.F personel??
          many thanks for sharing this info ,Michael.
          I have a single RAF nationality title in my collection that reads "N. Ireland" I realize it isn't the same, but thought it was interesting. I have it next to my pair of "Scotland" RAF titles.
          Allan

Comment

I`ve neither heard about or seen one of these titles before. I would assume it was a completely unofficial thing and something a few Irish guys had privately made up.

Regards,

Des

Comment

Found this old thread as ive just purchased a group of British insignia that was once all stitched to a balnket, sorry to say that someone washed the lot as the blanket was ''minging'' but during the wash the cloth was badly damaged, anyway one was this Ireland title, anyone seen these before?
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting title, hopefully others will comment.

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                  Interesting title, hopefully others will comment.
                  Hope so Ill post a larger pic of the ''blanket'' grouping.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X