Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British rangefinder...opinions please

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I got this British rangefinder from a Dutchman who lives in France and got it from a fleemarket.
    (The former owner painted it green.)

Since I am not in to the Brithish stuff I would love some information about it. And a price of what it is worth.

Thnx in advance.

Nobody into rangefinders?

Comment

Nice find. I´ve the same in original condition from 1914.

Regards

Comment

Is there a market for these items? It is not in my line of collecting...

Thanks!

Comment

When I first saw this before scrolling down I thought this isn't a British rangefinder but a German WW2 one, but after seeing all the data plates all in English and the broad arrow it just couldn't be a German one

Comment

That is some nice info Pzrwest

Comment

British rangefinder

I am afraid that I cannot offer any idea on price.

I have a similar (but post war) Barr & Stroud range finder at home. It is painted in a very similar green, including the transit case. I am not at home until the weekend so cannot check the shade on mine but I suspect that it is an original MOD finsih that has been partly removed - which is a shame.

That being said I have seen a number of rangefinders/optics etc for sale in london in a stripped and polished state.

Steve

Comment

Range finders such as these were used by members of the Royal Regiment of Artillery observation posts and survey units.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                  Range finders such as these were used by members of the Royal Regiment of Artillery observation posts and survey units.

Marc
                  The Range finder artillery was obviously for artillery use and it went out of use with field and heavy artillery during the 1930s. I beleive the greatest use of these rangefinders no 12 was with Vickers machine guns.

Comment

Pegasus is wright. The number 4 was used for the Vickers. Found it's manual on the net.

http://www.weapons.org.uk/smallarmst...k/01-10-37.pdf

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/acc-rangefinder.htm

Erwin

Comment

I sold one of these, in the transit case complete with all the accessories, for 450 USD about two years ago.

Comment

£80 ish
                        i have copies of the users manual if you want one pm me
                        nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X