Newfoundland Volunteer Medal 1939 -1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laurence:

WW2 service records for the RN and RNVR (with whom I think your father served) are held at the British Ministry of Defence. Only next of kin can access them (which would be you of course) and they do charge a fee (probably not too much).

Anyway, the addresses I found are:

Ministry of Defence
    CS(RM)2A
    Bourne Avenue
    Hayes
    Middlesex, UB3 1RF
    United Kingdom

AND:

Naval Secretary (OMOBS)
    Room 169, Victory Building
    HM Naval Base
    Portsmouth
    Hampshire, PO1 3LS
    United Kingdom

Not sure which one's the correct address, but maybe someone else on the forum knows - or you can just fire off a letter to both and see who can help best.

Comment

Geoff Thanks alot for that. It would be exceptional to get those I will be snail mailing them this week. once again thanks a lot

Comment

Hi Laurence, here is a link for you to doule check the address' you need:

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/servicerecs/royaln.htm

Best of luck with your research! And keep us posted

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Just for information Laurence this year's edition of the Medal Year Book states 7500 of these medals were awarded and the value to be £400 to £500.

Simon
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks Adrian. I will most certainly keep you all posted, the web site (I have not looked at it yet) should expidite things faster.

Thanks Simon. I appreciate that, at least I can put a value on for the Insurance, The rest of them would be what? 25 - 30 $US?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Lundström
              Thanks! That's WEIRD! My own awareness of Canadian Confederation etc only goes back as far as the hoopla of 1967.

So nobody AFTER 1949 could apply for the VSM? "Forever non-Canadian?"

Every time zee Kaybeckwahz get... plebiscitical... I always think, you know, WE got some flag canton space for more stars for the Maritimes. Got enough "homefolks" from up there around anyway down here.
              Well, not exactly. If you were a Newfoundlander who served in the Canadian Forces in WW2 (which some did) then you could apply for the CVSM. If you served with the British Forces (which some did) then you could not - but after 1981 you could apply for the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal.
              Hope that clears it up a bit.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X