Newfoundland Volunteer Medal 1939 -1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newfoundland Volunteer Medal 1939 -1945

Hi. for those of you who asked to see this, here's the first picture, it's getting late and I have to get up tommorow, but I will give a complete set of pic's in the AM. I belive the white stuff is polish. I was not home much in Dad's last years, but I know he never missed a Battle of the Atlantic or Rememberance Day Parade. And I really dont know what to do with them to clean them up, Icould never live with myself if I ruined them. Any help would be appreciated

And here's a little teaser

Comment

and another one

Comment

One last paper reverse of the last one

Comment

And last but most definetly my Dad, God bless his soul

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
            And last but most definetly my Dad, God bless his soul
            Laurence,
            Thank you for sharing your family treasures. I have never seen a Newfoundland Volunteer Medal, so appreciate seeing it from a collector's standpoint too.
            Allan

Comment

Hi Alan Thank you, I will finish taking Pictures of it today sometime then it's going to hid for a while in the Saftey box at the bank. Had a few to many burglaries in the neighborhood lately, filthy scumbags have nothing better to do . Any idea what I do to remove that metal polish?

Comment

Hi Laurence, I too have not seen one of these medals before and to see one belonging to the family of one of the forum members is great!

You can remove the "brasso" metal polish safely with warm water and soap and a soft toothbrush.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks Adrian, I will try that. I fiqured a little bit of water would work, but was scared to try. Heres the full rack, I will try and take a picture of the serial # sometime today
                  Last edited by Laurence Strong; 05-29-2004, 07:43 AM.

Comment

And the reverse

Comment

impressive - especially if you have the documents, pics and a personal history to it!
                      thanks for sharing!
                      christian

Comment

Thanks Christian, Heres the reverse by itself. I'm having fun with my new toy

Comment

Terrific photos, Laurence, thanks for posting them! I've never had the chance to see a Newfoundland Volunteer medal before - and it's great to see it in such a complete family group.

Would you mind detailing a bit of your father's service? From Africa, to Italy, to the Battle of the Atlantic, he certainly got around the various theatres of war!

Best regards,
                          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Lundström
                            Is this Newfoundland medal OFFICIAL? Recent?

I've never HEARD of it, and about 1/10 of where I am has Newfie kin! (more down here than up there, probably-- like the Oirish!)

Why no Volunteer Service Medal with the overseas bar?
                            Newfoundland didn't become part of Canada until 1949 - hence the lack of the CVSM with overseas bar.
                            This is an official medal, instituted by the Government of Newfoundland in 1981. Those that received the CVSM for services in the Canadian Forces were not eligible. It was instituted, albeit rather late, to recognize the overseas service of the Colony of Newfoundland in the British Forces.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. I did not know the story behind the medal itself! Dad never said much about the war, except to say that he stayed drunk for about 3 years after the war. That was passed on to me in one of his many sermons to me, about my drinking. I know he served on destroyers. did a fair few Murmansk runs, (that would cause anyone to turn to the bottle)He did discribe to me what it was like to be at sea in front of the cruisers and battleships when they pounded the beaches. From what I understand if you were with the invaison fleet, you recived the campaign star even if you did not set foot on the beaches. I dont have them here, but I inherited a pair of binos he scooped off a U-Boat, they had forced to the surface, prior to it sinking, He had talked about writing his memoirs, and I should have worked on him more to do that, but by then I was on the other side of the country, and only got home about6-8 times in 20 years . but unfortunately he was called away. I do truly regret not going home more now. If any of the youger members are reading this. Spend time with your folks, and ask them anything you want. because before you know it they are gone. And trust me you will all of a sudden have a million ?'s you want to ask. I do apologize about preaching.

I wonder if the Brits would still have service records from the war? Would anyone out there know the answer to this and where one might ask or look?
                              well thanks for puting up with my ramblings every one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X