Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Medals and paper work

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I have my Fathers WW2 medals, they are nothing special in so far as medals go, strictly campaign medals; 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, France and Germany Star, War Medal 1939-45, and the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal 1939-1945 #1839, but VERY special to me. I also have an issue chit for the first 5 from the British Admirality, and a letter from the same date 27 Jun 1946, These are absolutly not for sale, but will be passed on to my Son along with mine when I move on. What I would like to find out is what value should I place on them for insurance purpose's, as where we live there has been a rash of burglaries, I can't put them in a safty deposit box as I am placing them in a picture frame along with his portrait. Thats my tribute to him. I hope nobody finds that to be too crass of me to wonder about money over something like this.

Thank you
    Laurence

Just a thought Laurence but if there's a danger of burglaries in your area how about getting some repro medals for the framed display and keeping the real ones safely tucked away?

Simon
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
      Hello
      I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I have my Fathers WW2 medals, they are nothing special in so far as medals go, strictly campaign medals; 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, France and Germany Star, War Medal 1939-45, and the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal 1939-1945 #1839, but VERY special to me. I also have an issue chit for the first 5 from the British Admirality, and a letter from the same date 27 Jun 1946, These are absolutly not for sale, but will be passed on to my Son along with mine when I move on. What I would like to find out is what value should I place on them for insurance purpose's, as where we live there has been a rash of burglaries, I can't put them in a safty deposit box as I am placing them in a picture frame along with his portrait. Thats my tribute to him. I hope nobody finds that to be too crass of me to wonder about money over something like this.

Thank you
      Laurence
      Laurence,
      The Newfoundland Volunteer War Service Medal is very scarce. Approximatly 7,500 were awarded. The MYB lists a value range of 400-500 pounds. The other medals could be replaced for about $150. Perhaps you might post a picture of the Newfoundland Medal as many collectors have never seen one. Your Dad's grouping sounds lovely.
      Garth

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Thompson
        Laurence,
        The Newfoundland Volunteer War Service Medal is very scarce. Approximatly 7,500 were awarded. The MYB lists a value range of 400-500 pounds. The other medals could be replaced for about $150. Perhaps you might post a picture of the Newfoundland Medal as many collectors have never seen one. Your Dad's grouping sounds lovely.
        Garth
        Garth,
        To show you what a neophyte I am with British medals, I ASSUMED that Laurence was referring to a Canadian Volunteer medal and found it odd that he would say that it was numbered. I am now hoping to see a photo of this group so that I can expand my knowledge.
        Laurence,
        Any photos?
        Allan

Comment

Allan Newfoundland Did not join Canada till 1949, thats why Dad joined the Royal Navy instead of the Canadian Navy. I should be picking up a scanner and a digital camera this week I hope and will gladly post pic's, once this neaderthol fiqures out how to use them . Thank you for the idea about the replacment set I will have to look into that

Comment

Laurence: just a suggestion regarding a bank's safety deposit box. My father has my grandfather's medals (along with his own) in frames that are easily opened from the back. Whenever my parents are away - he simply removes them from the frames and puts them in the safety deposit box at the bank. It sounds like a bit more work - but as you know - family medals are irreplaceable. You can get specific frames for medals - that come apart easily, from anyone who does medal mounting.

Geoff

Comment

Laurence,
              not sure what part of Alberta you're from but I found this site from Calgary that advertises an 11x14 oak frame, with medal access, for $65.00. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/woodmark/

Comment

Actually I am about 3/4hr north of Calgary. and a funny thing Woods court mounted my own medals for me. Next time I am down there will have to stop in. I have been thinking about safty dep box for other reasons.definetly going to have to think a little harder about that 1.

Thanks

Comment

I want to thank all of you for your help, As you can see from the post's I was up late last nightand my brain was to fuddled to properly thank everyone

Sincerly

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X