Some Victorian and early insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Victorian and early insignia

I just managed to aquire some of these pieces, thought you guys might enjoy looking. I'm having a little trouble pinning down the exact time frame on a couple. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Garth

The first bit is a Colour Sgt. Royal Gloucestershire Hussars.
    Attached Files

This one has me a bit perplexed, I think it is a Marksmanship award of some kind.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is a very well done metal and cloth badge for the The King's (Liverpool Rgt.). Not sure of the period but a well executed badge.
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe these are Victorian Officer collar insignia for the The King's Own (royal Lancaster Rgt.). The part I'm unsure of is if these are officer collar insignia.
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure of the ID or period these, possibly collar insignia Welsh Guards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Finally a really odd piece tagged on the back "mascot handler welsh guards?" I don't have clue if this is correct or not.

Garth
            Attached Files

Comment

Goat

That Goat badge is rarley seen outside of the Welch Regiments. I have been after one for a long time.

Comment

Garth,

#5 is the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, according to Churchill, the right hand one dates from about 1903. The left hand one is illustrated as having only seven flames to the grenade, not having the superimposed small one. If as it looks it's silver bullion with a gilt dragon it's the 3rd and 4th battalions.

The style of lion on the King's Own is post 1896 officer's type but Churchill makes no mention of the backing being red and blue.

The '4' on the Champion badge could also relate to the King's Own as they were the 4th of Foot.

Lovely badges

Jim

Comment

The goat badge isn't going to be Welsh Guards, perhaps RWF &/or WFRs? What size are the KORR insignia? I have an idea that the lion over rose in bullion were used as cap insignia at one time by senior NCos & officers, 'tho they'd probably be on blue rather than red backing cloth.

Ah, just noticed that the upper half of the KORR lion is blue, lower red - I think that this is perhaps from a pill box or the similar peaked cap of late Victorian times. I think that similar bullion badges appear in a photo in the old "Regiment" series of magazines.
                  Last edited by leigh kitchen; 05-31-2004, 08:24 AM. Reason: did'nt notice the blue bit.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X