Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Frock Coat

Hello all,

I have what I think is a late Victorian era officer's frock coat for cavalry officers. Will anyone help me out here?
    Attached Files

Cuff
    Attached Files

Comment

Another
      Attached Files

Comment

Charles-- what do the rank insignia look like?

If I recall from years of watching British movies, for a long stretch this "Hussar" style jacket was worn by all sorts of officers as a form of "undress" uniform... with those "Philip Morris" bellhop caps.

Comment

Rick,

I'll go look. It is a single pip inbullion to each shoulder. I'll try to take pics.

Comment

Dress regulations 1900 show the closest as being Frock coat Dragoon Guards and Dragoons. The cuff rank and collar design looks to be for a field grade officer. Was there a sign of a crown being above the pip on the shoulder? Lt Colonel then. Looks like there is a missing tassel or so on the stern. Very nice Victorian frock coat.

Garth

Comment

I think it ooks like a field grade as well. Yes, looks like a long time ago another rank insignia was on each shoulder.
              Question... How do I ever find a set of Queen Victoria Crowns that match?

Comment

Originally posted by ccj
                I think it ooks like a field grade as well. Yes, looks like a long time ago another rank insignia was on each shoulder.
                Question... How do I ever find a set of Queen Victoria Crowns that match?
                I know I have one for sure. I'll look through my boxes and see if I can find a close match.
                Garth

Comment

Wow! I would be grateful. These pips are very high quality. I wish i had started collecting British Victorian a long time ago enstead of US WWII, then Third Reich, then Imperial German, then French, then world medals, etc...

Comment

Names of movies Rick.... Are any worth watching?
                    Originally posted by Rick Lundström
                    Charles-- what do the rank insignia look like?

If I recall from years of watching British movies, for a long stretch this "Hussar" style jacket was worn by all sorts of officers as a form of "undress" uniform... with those "Philip Morris" bellhop caps.

Comment

Back to an earlier question...

What rank is this tunic? By looking at the collar and the cuffs I am still confused. Capt or Col?
                      Attached Files

Comment

cuff detail. Really fancy.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Could we get a close up of the collar on this last one? That will reveal things nicely... At first glance it appears to be LCol rank to me but...a closeup would confirm this.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

collar. Victorian rank
                            Attached Files

Comment

Single row of lace = CAPTAIN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X