http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Cheers, Ade.

Medal Group

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
    Hi Guys, here is a current listing on E bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade:
    Just a question, if you please. As Pte. Hamilton died before receiving all but one of these medals, why would they have been court mounted? A great many medals, awarded to KIA troops, and claimed by the families, remained in their box(es) of issue. This is the first that I can recall seeing a set that was mounted later by a relative. Is this common practise in the UK?

Comment

Hi Resaw, these medals have obviously been in a collectors hands, hence the research and thus the mounting. Some families do go to the expense of having the medals mounted and then framed. I am currently awaiting (5 Months on ) of my Great Uncles medals from the RAF. I will have them mounted. In the UK it is also allowed that a relative (nearest next of kin) to wear the medals on the left breast at a parade to show that they had lost a loved one in service. This is not terribly common, but it is done. But in this case I am certain it has been collector done.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
        Hi Resaw, these medals have obviously been in a collectors hands, hence the research and thus the mounting. Some families do go to the expense of having the medals mounted and then framed. I am currently awaiting (5 Months on ) of my Great Uncles medals from the RAF. I will have them mounted. In the UK it is also allowed that a relative (nearest next of kin) to wear the medals on the left breast at a parade to show that they had lost a loved one in service. This is not terribly common, but it is done. But in this case I am certain it has been collector done.

Cheers, Ade.
        Hi Ade, don't mean to contradict you, but I believe the medals worn by relatives are worn on the right breast (ie the "wrong side").

Cheers,
        Geoff

Comment

Hi Guy's

I agree with Geoff, They are worn on the right side. In fact my son is going thru the proccess with his unit to see if he can wear his Grandfathers this Rememberance Day.

Laurence

Comment

Has anyone gotten a scan of the naming on the IGS medal? I used to collect British awards and the most commonly faked groups were those to Arnhem KIA's. Seems like a lot of money hanging on one named medal of which the seller doesn't show the engraving. Or perhaps I'm simply far suspicious of "neat" British groups without either a substantial amount of paperwork or respectable pedigree...

--Dave

Comment

Hi Guys, of course it is the right side that medals are worn by next of kin, I was just thinking of left side as you look at the person

I too would like to see the engraving. I am also a little cynical when it comes to Arnhem groups.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
                Hi Guy's

I agree with Geoff, They are worn on the right side. In fact my son is going thru the proccess with his unit to see if he can wear his Grandfathers this Rememberance Day.

Laurence
                Hi Laurence,
                I can tell you after researching this subject (I am in the Canadian Forces and one of my troops wanted to wear his Grandfather's medals) that it is currently a criminal offence in Canada for anyone to wear medals or decorations that they are not personally entitled to. There was a motion brought forward by a member of Pariament about a year or two ago to allow the next of kin to wear the medals like what is done in England and other countries. However, nothing has been approved as of yet. The idea is that the significance of the medal / decoration would be degraded if worn by someone other than the original recipient. If you do a search on the net (Criminal Code of Canada, wearing of medals, etc...) you should be able to find the information that you need.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer
                  Hi Laurence,
                  I can tell you after researching this subject (I am in the Canadian Forces and one of my troops wanted to wear his Grandfather's medals) that it is currently a criminal offence in Canada for anyone to wear medals or decorations that they are not personally entitled to. There was a motion brought forward by a member of Pariament about a year or two ago to allow the next of kin to wear the medals like what is done in England and other countries. However, nothing has been approved as of yet. The idea is that the significance of the medal / decoration would be degraded if worn by someone other than the original recipient. If you do a search on the net (Criminal Code of Canada, wearing of medals, etc...) you should be able to find the information that you need.

Steve
                  Steve:

Interesting, I didn't realize that next of kin couldn't wear medals on the right breast in Canada. Then again, I've never seen it done before - and I haven't missed a Remembrance Day ceremony in years.
                  By the way, what regiment do you serve in? If you don't mind me asking...
                  Cheers,
                  Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff,

I spent over 13 years with 2 and 3 PPCLI but was recently granted an occupational transfer, so I am now in the airforce and training at CFB Borden to be an aircraft structures tech. Life is so much more relaxed in the airforce and it's taking a while to adjust, but I'm happy with my choice.

Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

Hi,

The group of medals does look nice. But if I was the seller and I knew the medals were 100% I would post a picture of the engraving.

Many thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X