MGS brooched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGS brooched

Recently aquired this brooched MGS to A.RAMSAY CORPl. 42nd FOOT. He is on the roll and entitled to an EGYPT bar. Sadly, it has been brooched. Does anyone have any thoughts on possible restoration of the medal and if so are there any recommendations as to who could do a proper job?
    Thanks,
    Garth
    Attached Files

Medal reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

You'll find that obtaining a contemporary MGS/NGS pattern suspender sans medal virtually impossible. Then there's finding an Egypt clasp - which might be slightly less difficult, as they do crop up. As for removing the brooch traces, thats a job for a (very experienced) silversmith. This brooching is a ball-ache, but it's a fad contemporary to the period, so it's of interest from a social history viewpoint. Glazing is slightly less of a ball-ache, as the medals were left intact usually.I'd start by getting an opinion from a silversmith to see if the brooch traces can be effectively erased. But the end product, even if you're successful, will be an MGS that's been fiddled about with - which to some is herecy.

Comment

I agree with Tony on most of his points. However, in my experience it's nigh impossible to ever COMPLETELY remove traces of the brooch mounting. This medal is well worn and shows it's age (as it should!). To more or less obliterate the traces of the brooch mounting the silversmith will probably have to smooth the surface giving it a different appearance than the rest of the medal. It will also be less toned in this area. Thus you'll have a medal that all but the most inexperienced collector will recognize as being "wrong" in some way.

It would be possible to obtain the Egypt clasp (at a price of course), but the suspension would be the real problem. Your silversmith may be able to fashion one from an original by casting etc. However, you'll end up with a monkeyed-with medal and I fear that the cost and effort of restoring will not greatly increase the value of the medal.

If it were mine, I would be tempted to leave it as is...it has a history and shows the evidence of this. Although not an ideal example to some collectors I still think it is a wonderful medal and well-deserving of an honoured place in a collection.

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X