Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First World War Northamptonshire Regiment Medal Pair

Hello everybody,

I have had this medal pair for quite a while but I never really showed this on the internet, so I decided to put it online here. I have not researched it a lot but I have quite a bit of information already. I hope some of you might enjoy to see this.

The Story.

Gordon Henry Walker was born on the 20th of September 1894 at Croydon as the son of Reverend Henry Taylor Lochner Walker and Isabel Emily Walker, who died three weeks after giving birth to her only son. Gordon Henry went to Whitgift School from May 1906 until July 1911. He was in Mason’s House during his time there and was a private in the Officer Training Course at the school. Before going to Whitgift he went to The Grange School, South Norwood.

Gordon Henry joined the 28th County of London Battalion (Artists' Rifles) in 1915 and was sent to France a year later, in 1916. In March 1917 he was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in the 6th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. The 6th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment had taken over the line between Turrene Crossing to Colombo House, with HQ at Egypt House, from the 8th Norfolks on the 10th November 1917. Their occupation of the line included two night patrols of 10 men and one officer (on the evenings of the 11th and 12th November) and heavy artillery fire from the Germans during the afternoons of the 12th and 13th November. The battalion was relieved by the 12th Middlesex Regiment on the evening of the 13th.

During their 3 days in the line, the battalion suffered 1 officer Missing, Believed Killed (2nd Lieutenant Gordon Henry Walker), 8 OR's Killed, 3 officers wounded, 13 OR's wounded and/or gassed and 9 OR's missing.

His Major wrote of him; "One of my best officers, especially where it was most needed - that is, right in the front, there he seemed absolutely indifferent to shell fire, and his example to his men was splendid. "

Photographs of the items.

The British War Medal and the Victory Medal which belonged to 2nd Lieutenant Walker.

Front view of the British War Medal.

Back view of the British War Medal.

Engraving on the British War Medal.

Front view of his Victory Medal.

Back view of his Victory Medal.

Engraving on his Victory Medal.

Engraving on his Victory Medal.

Photograph of Gordon Henry Walker, taken in March 1909, when he was 14 years old. At this time he was at The Whitgift School. Most likely this was his uniform as a Private at the Officer Training Course there.

Portrait photograph of Gordon Henry Walker as a 2nd Lieutenant of the 6th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. This photograph was taken on the 23rd of April 1917.

With kind regards,

Koen.

A good officer casualty pair.

Gareth

Comment

A very nice pair

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X