Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Paratrooper Helmet (post war Australian conversion).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Paratrooper Helmet (post war Australian conversion).

Hi All,
    Here is my WW2 British Paratrooper Helmet that I was told is actually a post war Australian conversion helmet. The helmet has replaced web chinstrap set-up and has the two extra holes where the original rear straps were to go and the middle one drilled so it could use a single D-ring instead. The color is the same on the inside and out and looks like it wasn't repainted as there is the tan/mustard paint spot inside the shell. The net I added and I think is a British net.
    I had posted a thread about my helmet earlier but now I can post pictures of it. Any comments or opinions welcome.
    Thank you,
    British Para Helmet.jpg
    British Para Helmet:b.jpg

Extras holes in the back
    [ATTACH]1853286[/ATTACH]
    Date
    [ATTACH]1853287[/ATTACH]

Comment

Tan paint spot on the inside:
      British Para Helmet:paint spot.jpg

Comment

Looks as if the paint is original to it and even a 'blob' and crown pad fitted. Even converted it is still a nice 1942 fibre rimmed helmet.
        Noticing the black sorbo inside I am wondering what size it is.

Comment

Originally posted by deejay View Post
          I am wondering what size it is.
          Probably 6 3/4 judging by just about every other example of these that I've seen. Mind you I'll probably be wrong with this one.

Mark

Comment

Nice helmet, Rodney !

Looks like a classic Australian conversion : surplus, unissued, fibre-rim converted by, or for, the Australians.

Comment

Hi Dirk, Mark and SMP!
              Paint's original that's good to hear !!, to bad they didn't utilize the original rear holes when they attached the chinstrap to the back of the helmet. The liner is a BMB/ 6 7/8/ 1942, seems like many conversion para-helmets had small liners. Is the liner original to the helmet? In a old book I've read, they mentioned that they replaced the leather straps with web-chin straps because "It was found that perspiration affected the leather and made the threading of the straps through the metal rings very difficult." how did they attached those?
              I'll be looking for some WW2 camouflage burlap fabric to put in the net, at least it will hide the holes when I display it.
              Thanks,
              Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
                . Is the liner original to the helmet? Thanks,
                Rodney
                Yes.

Apart from the extra hole and strap, it's a 100% British fibre rim.

Comment

Thanks SMP !! This might sound dumb ! but the web chin straps, are they post-war or an Australian made straps? They look like straps on later wartime Para-helmets. Did the Australian Paratroopers mark there helmets in anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
                    Thanks SMP !! This might sound dumb ! but the web chin straps, are they post-war or an Australian made straps? They look like straps on later wartime Para-helmets. Did the Australian Paratroopers mark there helmets in anyway?
                    I suspect the web straps are also war-time British, though I have no way of proving it.
                    Don't know about any markings.

Comment

Thanks again SMP!

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                        I suspect the web straps are also war-time British, though I have no way of proving it.
                        Don't know about any markings.
                        Hey,

Im looking into buying a helmet very similar to this one, and I wonder what points makes you thinks that the web strap are British wwII era?

Cheers!
                        Mads

Comment

Originally posted by Shadwellarmy View Post
                          Hey,

Im looking into buying a helmet very similar to this one, and I wonder what points makes you thinks that the web strap are British wwII era?

Cheers!
                          Mads
                          Hi,
                          As someone stared, these and later variants were used post war and for a very long time into the '70s as far as I know.
                          Wartime chinstraps were just as shown, all metal parts blackend. Postwar identical straps with bronze parts. Also green coloured canvas straps with bronze buckle and end parts.
                          Maybe even more variants exist that others can write about.

Comment

Web strap

The wartime web straps tend to have a larger section of leather in the chin cup. You are correct, they found that the leather, when excessive sweat occurred ( which I would imagine in Australia could be a problem ) loosened the loop connection. Also leather was rationed during the war so they actually had web designs in the works since the "P" Type from 1941. None were found suitable until the MK II came out.

All you need to do now is locate a Canadian DR conversion to para from the late 40's and use the original leather harness found in them to complete your HSAT.

It is the original paint.

Ken

Originally posted by deejay View Post
                            Hi,
                            As someone stared, these and later variants were used post war and for a very long time into the '70s as far as I know.
                            Wartime chinstraps were just as shown, all metal parts blackend. Postwar identical straps with bronze parts. Also green coloured canvas straps with bronze buckle and end parts.
                            Maybe even more variants exist that others can write about.

Comment

I can remember these by the Bin full back in the early seventies in disposal stores as a kid in Melbourne for 25 dollars each
                              how times have changed guys

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X