Capsule box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capsule box

Can anyone help with this one? It is a box dates 1944, which holds up to 21 brass cases. All the cases are numbered in halves.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

?? odd item really neat.

here is a just a guess.

A pre-measured set of medical doses??
      A pre-set course of some sort of medication??

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
        ?? odd item really neat.

here is a just a guess.

A pre-measured set of medical doses??
        A pre-set course of some sort of medication??
        Thanks for the ideas, it does feel medical.

Here's a wild idea..... Pill holders for SOE "L" pills?

Comment

Is it for micro film?? Looks like something out of James bond. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
            Is it for micro film?? Looks like something out of James bond. I love it!
            Good idea. I don't know if film can be rolled that small.

I have just noticed that there is cotton wool placed in some of the caps for padding.

Comment

More likely a parts box for small items like small screws or drill bits given the numbered brass containers. Closest I can find to that numbering system are watch screws, sizes 1 through 12. Too small for a gunsmith, but maybe some sort of instrument repair tool kit? Optics, gunsights, or some such? Wool pads at the bottom of the tubes would suggest to me it would be bits. Apparently the FA with the broad arrow mark is Forbes Annex Armory, New South Wales (example here), so maybe look for Australian sources for who would have used that spade and P insignia.

Comment

My guess, perhaps bourne out by the cotton padding, is time fuses, or blasting caps. Are the capsules long enough - 2-3 inches? The numbers would be the time each fuse burns, though the 1/2s perhaps make that guess less likely. Very curious indeed!

Comment

An interesting item for sure, but also no real certainty what is was used for. Could it have been for needles- sewing, they may have had different sizes? Better if it was something more than this, but still a neat and unusual item. Regards, Clive.

Comment

The

The box may have been converted from holding Poker playing cards !!!

The weight measures rising per capsule/container, certainly look to be for a specific function .. medical ? maybe ?

Best way to tell would be to get a small amount analysed .. if there is any residue

Gary J.

Comment

Bingo!

It is a Pearl watchmaker's drill kit -- missing all the good bits. Link here, 8th item down. Check the 'more pictures' links to see the outside box and the contents.

Comment

Great research Dave! how did you manage to find that? eg what did you search?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
                          Great research Dave! how did you manage to find that? eg what did you search?
                          Slow day at the office I was using a Google image search. The magic combination was "box 21 brass", and I may have had "vials" and/or "numbered" in there too.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X