Canadian Military??? Enamel Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Military??? Enamel Badge

Hello folks. This showed up in a box of turn of the century jewelry and other smalls that I purchased at a local estate sale and I'm unsure as to whether or not it has any military connotation? It's really quite beautifully made and appears to have a gilt brass base metal and very elaborate, multi-colored enamel work. The central motif is the Canadian maple leaf, surmounted by a crown and this in turn is mounted upon an oval belt-design w/ design work on each corner at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions , as well as a small, enamel filled "drop" at the 6:00 position. The hinge and catch are of high quality and reminiscent of what you'd see on some early TR period badges. The only marking is "R.D. 1902" on the reverse, which I assume is the mfg' and date of mfg. If anyone can enlighten me as to its origin or if it has any military connection I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
    Attached Files

In my opinion you got a late victorian era ( its Victoria crown ) canadian patriotic badge. Nothing millitary even if the «belt» around the badge may remind a little bit a scottish regimental/ clan badge design.

Its a wonderfull badge, that In my opinion will fit well in a collection of victorian era medal as a thing possibly wear by a proud canadian wife to show her support to our country.

Comment

Thanks Manu. I didn't think it was a military badge, however it's really beautiful and SO well made. Thanks again for your comments!

Comment

Yep, they made great quality pin back in those days! Nothing to compare to the crappy plastic «Canada day flag pin» they give to people today...

Comment

Yes, Manu hit it spot on: not military but very very nice work. A keeper for sure!

Comment

Thanks Peter. Yes, regardless of any military connection, it's a great looking piece w/ wonderful enamel work-very high quality! Thanks for commenting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X