• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucas Brothers

I recently obtained these medals to three brothers:

- Lieutenant HUMPHREY WILLIAM HERBERT LUCAS, M.C., Royal Air Force
    - Lieutenant RICHARD JAGO LUCAS (M.i.D.) 20th Battalion Middlesex Regiment
    - Lieutenant PHILIP BENNETT LUCAS, Machine Gun Corps

Regarding researching these brothers,it is early days yet but I will have many happy hours over the next couple of months.

Lieutenant HUMPHREY WILLIAM HERBERT LUCAS, M.C., Royal Air Force
    The information that I currently have on Lt. Humphrey W.H. Lucas is from the Roll of Honour of Christ’s Hospital, Horsham:

“Lt. H.W.H. Lucas who was accidentally killed while flying on October 2nd 1918, aged 25 years, was the second son of the late Capt. B. Lucas, of the old 59th Regt., and Mrs Lucas of The Grove, Coulsden. He came to Lamb A in 1904 and left in 1909. On leaving, he enlisted in the Westminster Dragoons (Territorial), and on mobilization in August 1914, went to Egypt with his regiment, afterwards going through the Gallipoli Campaign. On his return to Egypt he was given a commission in a battalion of the Middlesex Regt., which he joined at Salonika, where he won the M.C. and was also mentioned in despatches. He transferred to the Air Force October 1917 and after qualifying as a pilot in Egypt, returned to England, and was employed in the Air Defence Force until his fatal accident occurred. His two brothers are at the Front; the elder was dangerously wounded last year, and returned to the Front the day before his brother was killed.”
    Lt. H.W.H. Lucas was serving in 61 Home Defence Squadron and was injured whilst flying a Sopwith F.1 Camel on October 1st 1918. He died on October 2nd at Bromley Cottage Hospital, Surrey (this additional information being supplied by a family member).

Lucas’ M.C. was in the London Gazette June 4th 1917 (King’s Birthday Honour Award). His 1914-15 star and his Territorial Force Efficiency medal are both named to the 2nd Company, London Yeomanry – with the Territorial medal also having his M.C. impressed on it. His War and Victory medals are named to the R.A.F.

The medals and memorial scroll are mounted in a period frame. On the reverse is the original framers paper-trade label - dated 1920
    It is a really nice complete example of an early night fighter pilot.

Lieutenant RICHARD JAGO LUCAS (M.i.D.), 20th Battalion Middlesex Regiment
    Lt. R.J. Lucas joined up as a Private in the 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (Stock-broker Battalion), entering France on July 31st, 1915. He was commissioned into the 20th Battalion Middlesex Regiment in 1917 and was Mentioned in Dispatches (certificate dated July 1st 1919).

Lieutenant PHILIP BENNETT LUCAS, Machine Gun Corps
    The third and eldest brother entered France on November 18th 1916 and was commissioned into the Machine Gun Corps. This is the only information that I currently have on Lt. P.B. Lucas.

Many thanks,
    Gareth
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Pic 6
            Brother No2
            Attached Files

Comment

Pic 7
              Attached Files

Comment

Pic 8

Brother No3
                Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the Sopwith Camel he was flying when he was killed I have the following information.

SOPWITH F.1 CAMELS ordered 16.7.18 under Cont No35a/2062/C.2349 (B.R.588) from Hooper & Co Ltd, Chelsea and numbered H734 to H833. All fitted for night flying.New type cut away centre section(110-hp Le Rhone 9j unless otherwise stated)

H767 Deld 7 AAP Kenly by 9.9.18; 61 Sqdn Rochford 1.10.18; EF, FL, stalled, crashed 1.10.18 (Lt HWH Lucas DoI 2.10. 18) SOC 12.10.18

Gareth

Comment

Does any one have any opinions regarding the shape of the wings which came with the group?
                    Could they be a local theatre made pair has he did his pilot training in Egypt.

Many thanks, Gareth

Comment

What a stunning group, this really isn't the type of thing you see everyday.

The MC just makes it all the more desirable

Cheers Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                        Does any one have any opinions regarding the shape of the wings which came with the group?

Many thanks, Gareth
                        Very nice Gareth. Especially to brothers
                        Can't comment on the wings as that isn't my specialty.
                        Have you tried looking at Ancestry or Find My Past for any rolls or papers? Might be worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post

Many thanks, Gareth
                          I believe the RFC wings are an Egyptian theater made pair. I haven't seen a RFC pair before but I do have a RAF WW2 period pair that is done in the same style.
                          Garth

Comment

Gentlemen thanks for the comments.
                            Here are some images of Brothers Medal Index Cards.

Gareth
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
                              Notice that they all lived at the same address.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X