ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flea Market Patch/Flash finds Indentification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flea Market Patch/Flash finds Indentification?

Hi all, Just picked up these patches at the local flea market. Just came from a WW2 veteran, but also has some WW1 what i believe mixed in. Looking for a little help for identification of trades patches ect. Thanks.

I'm not sure about this but the "52 Calgary Squadron" may be for the RC Air Cadets. I don't think the RCAF normally wore squadron specific shoulder patches for the period/uniform the badge is for [post WWII, pre amalgamation].

Comment

I can help with the airforce stuff!
      The Calgary 52 Squadron is indeed an air cadet's flash for the "City Of Calgary" squadron.
      The wing is an absolutely gorgeous 1944 pattern BCATP wing (I bet padded with a rough buckram backing).
      The fist gripping sparks badge is for a wireless operator
      and the propellor is a Canadian style Leading Aircraftsman rank badge, to be worn on both sleeves midway between the shoulder and elbow.

Nice little acquisition!

Comment

Hi LuftMike, Yup your spot on with the wings. well padded with rough backing. What does BCATP stand for? If anyone's interested in any of this throw me a PM, not really up my collecting alley. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by bjack View Post
          Hi LuftMike, Yup your spot on with the wings. well padded with rough backing. What does BCATP stand for? If anyone's interested in any of this throw me a PM, not really up my collecting alley. Thanks for the help!
          BCATP means British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. It was Canada's finest hour as a massive training centre for Commonwealth pilots. Airmen from all over the world came to Canada to train before being sent into the battlezones. The bases stretched from the shores of British Columbia all the way to Prince Edward Island!

I call this a BCATP pattern because Canadian manufacturer's made wings for Australian, British and New Zealand airmen trained here, and they were all of the same (this) pattern

Comment

Originally posted by LuftMike View Post
            BCATP means British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. It was Canada's finest hour as a massive training centre for Commonwealth pilots. Airmen from all over the world came to Canada to train before being sent into the battlezones. The bases stretched from the shores of British Columbia all the way to Prince Edward Island!

I call this a BCATP pattern because Canadian manufacturer's made wings for Australian, British and New Zealand airmen trained here, and they were all of the same (this) pattern
            Great! Thanks Mike.

Comment

I should add, the BCATP trained more than just pilots. Airmen of all qualifications, be it airgunners, wireless operators, bomb aimers or engineers. As well they trained Aerial observers, Ground Observers, and base personnel, wireless operators, radar techs/operators and even more Instructors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X