British helmet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British helmet...

Hello folks. This was brought into my shop last week. From all appearances (construction wise, at least), it appears to be a standard WWII British helmet. There's no cushioned "cross" in the top of the liner, however, (might just be missing or was removed). The liner is dated 1940 however I can't find any markings on the brim of the steel shell. Also, the sheet metal base for the chinstrap bales look a bit different to me. The helmet is painted a grayish black, which appears original as I honestly don't see any other color (other than base steel) beneath it where it's worn off. Also, there are two small holes drilled just behind the chinstrap bales on each side, possibly mounting location for goggles of some sort? Any ideas as to what particular application this helmet might've had in this color w/ the small holes drilled near the chinstrap bales?? Thx in advance for your comments.
    Attached Files

it looks like a ARP type helmet, it looks like its missing the cross padding & top screw (these can be bought on ebay)

i could be wrong.. but i believe ive read that the drill holes indicated that the helmet was not up to standard for soldiers

Comment

Thanks for writing! What's "ARP" denote? I know that during WWI there were goggles utilized w/ the 1917 helmets which typically utilized a set of holes drilled approximately where these are, but whether or not there was some similar application utilized on THIS example, I've no idea. Thx again!

Comment

Arp means "Air Raid Precautions" some details can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Raid_Precautions

sorry i wouldnt really know anything else about those holes in the helmet. best to wait for another member with more knowledge on the subject

Comment

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks again!

Comment

I agree that looks like an Air Raid (ARP) helmet.
            It appears to have the later style dome screw. Early ones were larger in diameter, a half inch if not more. The foam pad in the top may have dry-rotted and crumbled out. At least the rubber cushions around the headband are intact. Based on the number and arrangement of them, this is a size 7 or 7 1/4, or something smaller.

Comment

Hi,
              It's a MkII No2.B, (2 holes drilled in the brim) The No2's had from 1-4 holes drilled in the brim to donate different types of steel used in the construction.
              All of them were used on the home front & not to be used in the armed services, that's why they were marked in this way.
              The dates are normally by the chin strap lugs, but could also be under it so you won't be able to see it.
              Aaron
              Attached Files

Comment

ALL very interesting. Thanks very much for all of the information everyone!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X