Glider Pilot Wing - private purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got this nice embroided Glider Pilot Regment wing a while ago. I know it is not exactly "textbook" and I would very much appreciate your opinions. I think the photo's enclosed give a correct view.
    Attached Files

GPR wing

2 more photo's
    Attached Files

Comment

Beauty!

Comment

GPR wing

Thanks Jack, I really appreciate you "thumbs up", but at the TT forum my fellow collectors have serious doubts about this wing, they think it is a postwar version or even a reproduction

I think it is an early war version, this because of the thin black paper at the backside as well as the black gauze backing.

What time period do you add to this wing?

Comment

Anyone who has serious doubts about this one shouldn't be collecting Airborne stuff then!

I wouldn't go and say it is early war or even late war, just a private purchase example of this badge that would have typically have been worn by an officer.

I understand when people have concerns over insignia that doesn't look like the standard issue pattern but this embroidery is nothing like the current or even old crop of reproduction insignia that has been coming out of pakistan, UK, Europe etc.

Remember though a King's Crown puts this badge pre-1953 so it would be impossible to put an exact date on it. However, probability would tell us it is wartime due to the fact that there was a massive decline in Army Pilot numbers post war for obvious reasons.

Comment

One more thing to add while I'm ranting on......

A lot of non-UK based European collectors do not have the benefit of knowing the ins and outs of British wartime embroidery.

I'm fortunate enough to know a number of collectors who have great collections of British wartime insignia much of which was made on a local scale or tailored here in the UK - non-issue stuff included. Over time this exposure to this insignia helps greatly in getting to know what is good and what isn't - this in turn helps when collecting Airborne stuff.

Unfortunately most of the internet forums do not go into other areas of collecting (like above) and most of the time/pictures/etc is given to the "popular/expensive/cool" airborne kit. Thus a badge with embroidery that a solely airborne collector is not familiar with might be mistaken as a reproduction/post war etc.

I hope you understand??

Comment

Told you before Paul.
              Nice original wing.

Regards,
              Ruud

Comment

GPR badge

I thank you once again Jack, I really appreciate your honest opinion and am glad that I did the right thing in buying this badge a while ago. I really like the perfect hand embroidery of it as well as the overall looks.

Comment

Originally posted by j.frost View Post
                  Told you before Paul.
                  Nice original wing.

Regards,
                  Ruud
                  You are absolutely right Ruud, nice to read that it is confirmed by Jack as well though.
                  Nice one to keep in my collection!

Comment

Comment

Nice original wing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
                        Anyone who has serious doubts about this one shouldn't be collecting Airborne stuff then!
                        Very "funny" to say concerning your post but it was coming from a person how is very well known in this field of interest i hope that he read this thread,
                        All the best Chris

Comment

No one knows all, we all know a lot!

Problem with some people is that they judge to soon, just because they don't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by dens-mil View Post
                            No one knows all, we all know a lot!

Problem with some people is that they judge to soon, just because they don't know it.
                            How very treu Dennis!

Johan

Comment

Originally posted by 48RMC View Post
                              Very "funny" to say concerning your post but it was coming from a person how is very well known in this field of interest i hope that he read this thread,
                              All the best Chris
                              Ha! I hope he read my post too...perhaps he has learnt something. We are all learning new things everyday.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X