• Show
Clear All

Is this a British Army Clasp Knife?

Is this a British Army Clasp Knife?

please veiw here at the link below
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=48489

best regards

Jon.

Jon yes this is your standard British issue clasp knife ,I have one with a German waterbottle attachment attached to it ,sometime they are dated on the top of the blade ,Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Roger that

Thanks from Jack

Comment

i did not buy the knife, but how much do they cost to buy today? I found out their where two types of clasp knife. Here is a picture on the web i found
        my knife only has 2 things can opener and blade with screw driver (on the edge of the blade)

Clasp Knife - The clasp knife was a standard issue item from the early days of the century. By World War Two, it was commonly carried in a uniform pocket, often suspended from a lanyard (when coloured lanyards were introduced for the Battle Dress uniform, the official purpose for Other Ranks was to secure the clasp knife while officers attached whistles to theirs). A metal D ring with web loop can be seen in many period photos as well, attached to the 1937 Pattern waistbelt when in the field, to which a clasp knife is secured

Comment

Originally posted by Jon9
          i did not buy the knife, but how much do they cost to buy today? I found out their where two types of clasp knife. Here is a picture on the web i found
          my knife only has 2 things can opener and blade with screw driver (on the edge of the blade)

Clasp Knife - The clasp knife was a standard issue item from the early days of the century. By World War Two, it was commonly carried in a uniform pocket, often suspended from a lanyard (when coloured lanyards were introduced for the Battle Dress uniform, the official purpose for Other Ranks was to secure the clasp knife while officers attached whistles to theirs). A metal D ring with web loop can be seen in many period photos as well, attached to the 1937 Pattern waistbelt when in the field, to which a clasp knife is secured
          I would say £5- £10, perhaps a tad more for a WW1 one ,Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Jon,

Yes in my experience they are between 5 - 10 pounds also.
            One of mine is identical to the picture and dated 1943 Sheffield.
            The other is Australian made, and is just the steel, no bakelite - a different variation. I will post picks of it when I can

All the best

Rob

Comment

Thank would be great i would love to see some pictures of it. By the way how did they get the pen knife when they where in the army.

best regards

Jon.

Comment

Hi Guys, here is my jack knife, complete with lanyard which allows it to be worn around the waist. I use most weekends at shows. It is great for opening cans

It was given to me by a RE Veteran many years ago as he remarked that I did not have one. So he went home and brought his old one back for me the following day.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Knife opened up.

Comment

Makers mark and date.

Comment

Hi Adrian, nice clasp knife! infact i have just buyed a new one. you will find it on my webpage at www.freewebs.com/wehrpasspart

or take a look at my main page at www.freewebs.com/wehrpass

thanks agian Jon,

Comment

Hello there,

I´d like to know something about 2 pocket knives i have in my collection, they are diffrent from the others in my collection and the once shown...

One of them has a zink handle, the other is made completely made out of steel.

Someone told me the zink one was a marines knive because of the pin witch would be used to undo knots in ropes iff so is the other all metal one a Canadian marked marine version to? ( C with broad arrow in the handle..)

Jon nice site!

Eric
                        Attached Files
                        All the best, Eric

Comment

markings zink handled knive
                          Attached Files
                          All the best, Eric

Comment

all metal markings.

Have a nice weekend! Eric
                            Attached Files
                            All the best, Eric

Comment

How strange!

i will do a bit of research tonight for you!

best regards

Jon.

ps here is some information i found so far!
                              These are a bit different than the other knives I carry, but I couldn't resist them. They are sailor's knives that recently surfaced after more than a half a century of storage. From that time period they are carbon steel of course, and hell for stout. The sheepsfoot blade has about 2 1/2" of cutting edge, and is .1" thick at the spine. The combination can-opener and cap lifter is even thicker, and would probably double as a shackle wrench. The 2 1/2" marlin spike is about 1/3" thick. It's quite sharp, and properly curved for rope work. The center liner is extended into a strong scredriver point. The back springs are quite strong, and the blades open and close with authority. The handle slabs appear to be hard rubber. Despite the heavy grease in which they are packed, there may be some spoting of the high carbon steel. Length overall, not including the shackle, is about 3 3/4". The weight is a bit over 4 1/2 ounces. Trivial for a solid working knife, especially a multi-bladed utility knife.

They were made for the Belgian military under British license for the NATO forces. They are stamped in different ways, mostly "A.B.L." (Belgian Army) and "Colasse" (the main contractor). The most common date is 1951, although there are other dates as well. I can think of all kinds of uses for these, besides the historical interest.

http://www.freewebs.com/wehrpasspart/briti****ems.htm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X