British Boer War tunic and cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Boer War tunic and cap

Hi, Please! any information on the set shown would be greatly appreciated.
    I collect Finnish WW2 tunics and headgear and I was just given this set by the veterans family and have no idea of what I have.

I was told by the veterans family that it is a Boer War British officers tunic worn by her great grandfather. I have a photo of him waring the tunic and cap still coming to me.
    The family has no information other than his picture.

Could someone identify the rank, unit etc and maybe an idea of how rare this set is? and maybe an idea of value?

I received the tunic, cap in original metal carrying case and the khaki cap shown, all belonging to and worn by the same individual.

Thanks in advance
    Brian K

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello Brian,

can you post a detail image of the collar devices and a button please?

If you have a name you could PM me it will make locating a service history far easier.

A fine set indeed.
    Last edited by Patrick Dempsey; 02-14-2011, 05:51 AM. Reason: extra request.

Comment

Very nice indeed. Clearly full dress or even perhaps 'Court dress' for a senior military man [or possibly a British diplomat].

Yes, a shot of the buttons would be very useful in ID-ing it.

Comment

I don't believe this is a British Army tunic, but that of a Lord Lieutenant of one of the counties in the UK. No military rank insignia is present. The foreign service helmet MAY be of Boer War vintage, needless to say, it wasn't worn with the tunic.
        Is the tunic named inside?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

The tunic and fore and aft hat are indeed for a Lord Lieutenant of an English county ( as evidenced by the rose on the eppaulets). Not military.
          The sun helmet is the Wolseley pattern for OR's (enlisted men) and is after the Boer war, likeley ww1 or between the wars.
          The uniform appears to be very nice and complete however!

CB

Comment

Thanks guys for the kind comments.
            I have a picture of the owner waring the tunic and his name coming.
            I will post the picture and let you know what his name is as soon as I have it.
            Yes, I know the kaki helmet is not worn with this tunic, I just placed there for the pictures.
            This helmet was worn by the same owner as this tunic.
            I will take a picture of the buttons shortly, for now they have a crown on them surrounded by a reef of what looks like leaves.
            Thanks again for all your input.
            Brian K
            Last edited by adv-ent; 02-14-2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Ok, here are some close ups, please let me know what you think.
              Thanks
              Brian K

Comment

Amazing craftsmanship!

Comment

The uniform is a Victorian Lord Lieutenants dress uniform and from the buttons appears to have been in use from late Victorian times to the Edwardian period,having a Queens crown on the tunic buttons and a Kings crown on the epaulettes.RMR
                  Last edited by RMR; 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks RMR
                    I will post the picture of the owner and his name once I get it from the family.

I have already had many offers to buy this set from me without discussing price but I have no idea what it is worth.?
                    Can someone please let me know, atleast an idea of what the tunic, with the cap and original metal cap case would be worth.?

Thanks
                    Brian K

Comment

Hi , still waiting for the name of the owner.
                      Does anybody have any pictures of this type of tunic and cap being used.

I am very curious as to what type of belt was worn with this tunic?
                      Can anybody please show me a photo of an appropriate belt and if anybody knows where I could buy one for this set.?

I appreciate all the info but I am still unsure of what time line this tunic was worn in?

So maybe when I was told this was a Boer war tunic the owner may have fought in the Boer war but obviously this tunic had nothing to do with the war itself.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
                      Brian K

PS, here is the story on how I got this set, my father in-laws dentist had asked if he knew anybody that would be interested in having a couple of old uniforms He was moving and nobody in his family wanted them, The British tunic, cap and Kaki cap shown belonged to his wifes great grandfather and also from a family friend who fought in the 2nd world war gave a Russian sailor tunic.
                      Below is what showed up as the Russian sailors tunic.

Last edited by adv-ent; 02-20-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Russian sailors had nice tunics

See here, said to be pic of deputy Lord Lieutenant's tunic with belt. Maybe Lord Lieutenant wore similar belt...? Not too detailed pic though.

http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/...nant-of-the-c/

edit:
                        here is the description behind that link + pic

"A full dress uniform jacket of a Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the City of London, with silver lace and silver (or possibly silver plated) buttons of the pattern worn in 1902, the jacket with all lace and braiding intact, the silk liner intact, made in in London's Saville Row
                        England, circa 1900"
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Miikka, yes, nice Russian tunic.
                          I was somewhat surprised when I pulled it from the bag.

Very nice tunic you have shown.
                          I was sure hoping someone here could give me some more info.
                          ie on how rare is my tunic, and are they often up forsale?

So fare I have not seen my exact tunic on any web site, museum page so how rare is it?

Regards
                          BK

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler View Post
                            The sun helmet is the Wolseley pattern for OR's (enlisted men) and is after the Boer war, likeley ww1 or between the wars.
                            Just one point about the Wolseley, it did become a "sealed pattern" in 1899, so these were used in the Boer War. It didn't really replace the colonial pattern helmet until 1901, so I would agree this is more likely a WWI era helmet.

The cork spacers are usually seen earlier than later. There appears to be five methods for separating the helmet shell from the headband to provide air flow. This helmet in the photos uses the cork spacers.

Comment

Lord Lieutenant tunic

Hi, finally I have been given the name of the original owner of this tunic.
                              His name was "Henry O' Dell" .
                              I hope someone here can find some information on this individual.
                              Thanks in advance
                              Brian K

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X