Essex Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essex Regiment

Anyone got any ideas on this blackened badge? I originally thought Territorial or some other such battalion. In my mind I've ruled out it being an officer's badge because of the w/m sphinx and scroll but maybe I'm wrong. Slider fitting to the rear .

Jim

Is this an extreme case of age toning, perhaps assisted by fumes from whatever the badge was kept in close proximity to? It does'nt appear to be painted as the photo seems to show that the brazing (flux?) "overflow" has remained unblackened. If a painted finish then I might've suggested an Essex Regt man attached to the KRRC or similar, perhaps being a bit flash with his version of highlighting. The badge does'nt look as if it's been buried, & although you can get totally different effects on the different metals of buried badges, the white metal is in too good a condition to have been buried. I'm inclined towards age toning at the moment.

Comment

I am told that this was for the Militia. If nothing else a road to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
        I am told that this was for the Militia. If nothing else a road to go down.
        Is there a reference for this info please?

Comment

The finish isn't painted, I've tried acetone on a q tip and nothing comes off. The finish is definitely supposed to be there.

I've sent an email to the Regimental museum, hopefully they can tell me something.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X