D.C.M. Miniature Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D.C.M. Miniature Group

I was lucky enough to have this miniature D.C.M. Group given to me for Christmas.
    The interesting part of the group is the information on the tailors label, it looks like the group would have belonged to a recipient living in New Zealand.

Many thanks, Gareth
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice little group any luck on research ? Rob
      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
        I was lucky enough to have this miniature D.C.M. Group given to me for Christmas.
        The interesting part of the group is the information on the tailors label, it looks like the group would have belonged to a recipient living in New Zealand.

Many thanks, Gareth
        Hi Gareth,

Thats a very nice little group. Good luck with the research, try not to pull to many hairs out

Cheers Ad

Comment

Gentlemen thanks for the comments,
          Regarding the tailor he is advertised as working for Milligan's in 1922 and later in 1940 again advertising but this time owning his own firm.

At the moment it looks like the group could belong to "171 A/Cpl D. M. Newall 22 F.Amb. RAMC".

I will try and get some more research done in the New Year.

Many thanks, Gareth

Comment

Just found this article in the 4th of November 1916 British Medical Journal.

GERMAN PRISONERS' CAMPS.
            The King has been pleased to award the Distinguished Conduct
            Medal to the following non-commissioned officers and men
            of No. 22nd Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C., in recognition of great
            devotion to duty and eminent services rendered by them when
            prisoners of war, during epidemics of cholera and typhus fever
            at the prisoners of war camps in Gottingen and Ohrdruf
            respectively: No. 12402 Staff Sgt. T. E. Rondell, No. 170 Actg.
            Cpl. D. M. Newall, No. 4586 Pte. A. Hazell, No. 8382 Pte. H.
            Blackman, No. 8653 Pte. J. Canty, No. 8892 Pte. J. I. Robertson
            Last edited by Butch; 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Here is his MIC, cards which certifies the awards.
              Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                Many thanks, Gareth
                Attached Files

Comment

Very good research Butch, I would love to own the group

Cheers Adam

Comment

D. M. Newall DCM

Dear Butch,

I'm a new member and have been reading your thread about the miniature group to 170 L.Cpl David Newall 22nd Brigade RAMC with much interest.

I have been trying to research D.M.Newall as I have his full size medal group. My dilemma is that I can find little about his life before or after his war service. However, there is a David Maxwell Newall who was born in Liverpool in 1888 who joined the Merchant Navy in 1919, served as Chief Steward and died whilst at sea aboard the troopship SS Maratoa 1n 1942. The problem is that I don't know if they are one in the same person or two separate people!!!

The 22nd Field Ambulance was attached to 22nd Infantry Brigade, 7th Division. His low regimental number makes me think he was a Special Reservist who was mobilised and joined the 7th Division which was the only division made up almost entirely of seasoned troops from the overseas garrison stations.

They were the elite of the BEF and suffered appalling casualties. The 22nd Infantry Brigade came into line at full strength of 4500 men at Ypres on 14th October 1914, but by the 7th November 1914, it could only muster 10 officers and 921 men. During this same period, the 7th Division suffered similar casualties of 9302 all ranks, killed, wounded and missing.

As part of the medical support troops attached to 22nd Brigade, Newall would have been very heavily involved in looking after the thousand of wounded which must have been traumatic. I think he was taken POW in October 1914 but have no way of proving that at the moment. Very often, the medics were left behind with the wounded when units withdrew in order to treat them whilst prisoners. The Germans were not very sympathetic to our wounded and he must have suffered enormous hardships during his captivity.

The gazetting of his DCM is very interesting as it only lists VC winners plus these six men who were awarded the DCM for POW services.

Have you managed to do any more research on D.M.Newall, Butch?

Do you collect medals or militaria?

Best wishes

Comment

It would be nice if these medals could be reunited!
                      A couple of weeks ago i managed to put back together a trio of 17th lancers which was a good feeling

Comment

Re-uniting such a great group would be very cool! As to the research, I assume you have thought of going the genealogy route as well as the strictly military path. There is often a good bit of info. in census records for Wellington, local papers and so on, which many genealogists are happy to locate or help locate for you. Good luck with the hunt!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X