Interesting Parachute Brevet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Parachute Brevet

A buddy of mine recently dug this one up- in the possession of a WWII American paratrooper officer.

My understanding is that the British put restrictions on the use of bullion during the war, so I would assume that this was either produced for sale to an American or is post war. I also find the black background to be interesting. I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.
    Allan
    Attached Files

Allan, those para wings are most likely Royal Navy or Royal Marines No.1 Dress, nice find.

Jim

Comment

Why not Army?

Comment

Would'nt army No. 1 Dress Blues, , RN, & RM be on dark blue? Suppose this could be dark blue rather than black?

Comment

Hi Allan, WW2 wings made in India are very dark blue/black backed.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade, exceptions to the rule do exist though (see pic)
            I think we have discussed this before - my Indian wing is unusual - but as Ade said wings made in India are 99% very dark blue/black.

Allan, my guess is Army No. 1 Dress Blues. It looks like a variation on the 1st pattern of this wing. Nice looking find. Whatever it is, I'd be proud to own it

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

My thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I am a bit confused as the officer that I bought these from got out of the army in 1946 and said that he got them while in England before coming home.
              I know that the RAF suspended manufacture of bullion wings for mess dress etc. since the mess dress was suspended during the war (according to Warren Carroll in "Eagles Recalled,").
              So, is this an Indian made piece? If it is, how would a Yank in the 101st acquire it?
              Is it British made during the war? If it is, why were the British insignia makers turning these out with no mess dress to put them on?
              Are they definitely World War II? If not, how did this officer get hold of them?
              Thanks again for the assistance.
              Allan

Comment

Officers private purchase for his best going to town/dinners Service Dress.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X