A thistle from Verdun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thistle from Verdun

Here's a little piece I've had for a few years. From the size, 7/8X1" I imagine it's a sweetheart pin. Considering the Thistle and St. Andrew's Cross, would it be associated with the Camerons, or just generic?
    Attached Files

Hi Tom,
    cute item, but i think as you mentioned a generic piece for the scottish regements. The thistle as shown is still (i belive )worn as a collar piece by the Royal Scots regt.

Ashley

Comment

Thanks, Ashley. From the size I thought so. My Highland and Borderer ancestors would be proud

Comment

Presumably a souvenir piece produced for sale to the Brit "pilgrims" who visited France for decades after WWI. I may have this around my neck, but there was a WWI French Order Of The Day issued to do with a Scottish Division supporting the French, & stating something about the Scottish Thistle growing in French soil. I have a photo postcard somewhere of the projected memorial of a lion on a tapering plinth, & a Xmas card of 2 soldiers & the memorial - was that anything to do with fighting in the area of Verdun?
        Are the 2 little crosses either side of the design Crosses of Lorraine or just there for ornament?
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-02-2004, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X