Royal Navy insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Navy insignia

Hi Guys, here is my only RN item. Sadly I no nothing about the RN. This insignia, which I presume is for a Petty Officer (?) belonged to the late husband of a ATS Vet that is a friend of mine. Pity it was so badly removed from the uniform.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    i agree with you but usually these came as a one piece insignia.

Ashley

Comment

I must disagree with that statement, the P.O.'s rate badge and the 4 years 'undetected crime' aka Good Conduct Badge have always been separate items. Multiple awards of the GCB (max 3) are one piece. The two are sewn together and then sewn to the uniform sleeve.

Incidentally Chief Petty Officers, who do not wear GCBs still have to go through the rigamarole of 'requesting' the award as they can be forfeit should the crime not go undetected.

Incidentally I must say what great quality the embroidering is on that badge, especially the crown, much better than the cr*p I wore in the 70s.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the answers

I will have to ask Joan where her late husband served.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade,

Here is some RN insignia examples. The light blue on wool is for the WRNS and the red on wool is RN.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is some more with examples of the insignia for no.1 uniform and the working uniform.

Garth
            Attached Files

Comment

Some pretty scarce badges there Garth. Probably more than any other British badges they appeared to be ever changing in the last century. They always seemed to be messing about with the number and position of the stars.

According to my 1915 Manual of Seamanship, which is just about the only reference I have on Navy trade badges, the crossed guns in the first picture is similar to a Gunner's Mate badge but the star is shown between the crown and guns. In the second photo the crossed torpedoes, crown and star is closest to a Torpedo Gunner's Mate, but again the star is shown above the torpedoes. The next one crossed torpedoes and star is easy as my grandfather wore this, it's a Leading Torpedo Man. I have this badge in bullion and white on blue (Royal Yacht) and blue on white (tropical). The single torpedo and star is a C.P.O.(T), P.O.(T) and Seaman Torpedo Man.

The rest are I believe Fleet Air Arm, but I'll have to do some work on those, the 4 bladed props are I think technician types.

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X