Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British tropical tunic, opinions?

Hey guys,
    I was wondering what you all thought of this tropical tunic. I was told that it was for an engineering officer. It is very lightweight with absolutely no size or manufacture markings anywhere. What do you think?
    -Lee
    Attached Files

A close up of the pocket.
    Attached Files

Comment

A closeup of the shoulder slip-on KC insignia.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lee, I see no problems with it at all. These type of tunics were locally made all over North Africa/ Middle East and India. With the ribbon of the Italy Star on yours, that country could even be a possible place of origin? They are most often devoid of any markings. The buttons, as you most likely know, are the type found on the denim BD blouse and 37 pattern BD shoulder straps.

As the "pips" dark blue backed, this would be correct for an Officer of the Royal Engineers or Royal Signals

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Lee,

nice tunic, I really like those tropical KD jackets.
          I got a WWII RAF Navigators KD Jacket recently,
          I was once told that RAF Tropical 'North African theatre' Jackets are quite scarce, any thoughts?

Rob

Comment

I am so glad that we have this Commonwealth forum now! It's giving me a chance to 'confirm' items in my collection such as this tunic. Thanks guys.

-Lee

Comment

Hi Rob, RAF tropical jackets are not common when they have a brevet on them. Other Ranks jackets turn up much more often.

Hi Lee, I am pleased that you are enjoying the new forum. I know I am too

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A Lovely Tropical Jacket Mate, Well Done You Can Be Very Pleased With You Efforts On This One, Lovely Insignia As Well.

Comment

Ade,

Is that correct for the RE ? Dark blue ? I thought this would be for signals and Royal Service Corps.

Not that I would know.........and I certainly know you are more informed on this stuff than me my friend.

Kind regards,

Marcus

For his rank I'd expect a few more awards, I don't believe the bar is genuine to the uniform, the ribbon for the Italian star wasn't issued until post war I'm sure, the Africa Star ribbon would have been more convincing.......or am I totally barking up the wrong tree, good looking uniform though !!!
                  Last edited by MH184; 06-19-2004, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Marcus, the same colour pips were used by the Royal Signals and the Royal Engineers. I would say this was done perhaps because the RS were formed out of the RE? The RASC used yellow.

I would not have any worries on the ribbon bar.

Nice to see you posting again Marcus after your PC troubles.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X