Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown 1943 British "Protector Hood"

Hello Forum,

at least 10 years ago I bought this "Protector Hood", but untill today I don't know it's purpuse.
    Could anybody tell me what it is, and its use?

- The hood is made from some kind of impregnated cotton, with attatched sleeves and gloves.
    A simple sheet of mica gives you the opportunity to look outside.
    It measures at bottom 3 feet, height is about 4 feet.
    The hood is not marked or dated.

The hood was folded and packed in a rubberrized (dark brown) sheet.
    It has an easy opening "quick release" drawstring.
    Printed on the rubberized sheet are the opening instructions and a warning "Only when required for use".
    The rubberized sheet is not marked or dated.

The rubberized pack was protected by a canvas storage envelope, with external printing "Protector Hood".
    The envelope was made by "R. Bros." and has got an "N" date-code with it's inspector stamp. (1943)

Has anybody a clue?

My guess would be that it's a emergengy escape hood against fire. Strange item, have never seen it before.

Comment

all english men are so ugly they need one of these hood to score a bird .

owen

Comment

Looks like the German Gasjäckchen for Kids as a chemical Protection but also maybe as fire Protection for Kids to rescue them from burning buildings

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
          all english men are so ugly they need one of these hood to score a bird . owen
          HAHAHAHA Could have been a welcome-present for U.S. soldiers !!!!

But serious, I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
            Looks like the German Gasjäckchen for Kids as a chemical Protection but also maybe as fire Protection for Kids to rescue them from burning buildings
            Originally posted by Uncle Goose View Post
            My guess would be that it's a emergengy escape hood against fire. Strange item, have never seen it before.

They are simular in design, that is true!
            But, this material is an impregnated cotton (inferiour than the rubberised Gasjäckchen) , it's bigger than the Gasjäckchen and it does look it's intended for emergency use.
            Also it doesn't come with an attachment for a hose or filter. And I suppose that when it is bearing the WD-inspectors stamp, that it would be used for "official personel".

A "fire escape" hood would be a plausible explenation for this hood.

More info is welcome!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X