Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identification of RAF aircraft

Hello,

I have become the proud owner of a medal grouping belonging to a Leading Aircraftman of the Royal Air Force, and although the grouping contains a couple of very nice photographs (including one in his Royal Mail uniform), one photo is quite a mistery to me, and I was hoping that someone would be able to help me on it. I have posted the photo below, and I was wondering what aircraft is it? The turret should make the identification easier but I just can't find anything that matches with the photo. Any help regarding the aircraft would really help!

With kind regards,

Koen.

Avro Anson.

http://www.aeroplanemonthly.co.uk/ne...ws_297373.html

Comment

avro anson

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
        Bingo

Comment

How one could actually enter or exit through the aircraft through that door is amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the identification!

I wonder what he was doing with that aircraft because he was not a pilot or crewmember...

Comment

I wasn't aircrew either, but have plenty of photos of me posing in/on/with aeroplanes. That photo was most probably taken in Canada, as the markings look very RCAF-ish. Oh... and it's an Oxford, not an Anson.
              Last edited by Tony Farrell; 10-31-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

it's an Airspeed

Comment

Not an Anson and 'zipper' was close with 'airspeed'

'Airspeed' was the company that made the aircraft in question

What we have here is an 'Airspeed Oxford'

We sometimes forget this smaller sister of the Annie but it was a very common aircraft with over 8700 produced.

Comment

Hello all,

Nice to see that you kept looking and they you found the true identity of the aircraft. I do unfortunately not know anything about if he might have served in Canada, or anything else about his military career. Could the "37" provide a possible direction?

With kind regards,

Koen.

Comment

I can say with some certainty that this picture was taken in Canada most likely at one of these locations

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
                      North Battleford, Saskatchewan
                      Calgary, Alberta
                      Medicine Hat, Alberta
                      Penhold, Alberta

check out this page and send off an email or two
                      BCATP Reasearchers

The BCATP not only trained air-crew a good many ground and service crews where trained as well though as usual the focus was on the 'Glory Boys' and not the 'Grease Monkey' with a spanner.

Comment

don't forget 39 SFTS , Swift Current , Saskatchewan. unfortunately, without a serial number, virtually impossible to track down. Details of one A/C 37 is known, however this particular airplane was a Mk II and as such did not have a gun turret

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                        X