Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine help

I bought this working 1945 Enfield Jungle from a friend whom had it for years.

I am wondering what your opinions are about the muzzle. People say it has been cut, but after inspection by a gunsmith (aka him) it doesn't look cut at all, he thinks its a rare muzzle that wasn't common, but he isn't too sure and neither am I.

Hoping some of you guys might be able to help or at least direct to me to somewhere I can find out.

Also, does anyone know how the S/N on these guns work? Ive seem some later dated ones, Mine says 8/45 with a very slow S/N..

You could compare it to this one:

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/li.../prod_177.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
      Yes, I saw that one already, but you see how that ones muzzle flares, mine doesnt, which lets others believes its cut, but when you look close at mine it looks mint and no indications that it has been cut by any means.

Nice rifle, glad I got it, wicked price, action is super smooth on it.. I picked up some 303 British to test it out, but its been raining here all weekend.

Comment

I've seen numerous No5 rifles over the years that have had the cone cut off and many looked like the one shown while others retained the bayonet lug. It is very unlikely that it's a rare variation as there would be no way to attach the bayonet. Just because there is no apparent evidence of the removal of the cone and bayonet lug just means that it was done by someone who had skill.

Comment

Ian Skennerton's "The Lee-Enfield Story" two variants of the front sight/bayonet, one is the N0.4 rifle style mounting the spike type bayonets, and the N0.5 rifle which takes the blade No.5 bayonet and a combined flash hider. Yours appears to be cut off as is the bayonet stud. Two possibilities, one it was an attempt to "sporterize" it for hunting, or, two, it was removed to make it "civilian legal". That so a bayonet could not be mounted and the terror inducing flash hider was gone, we all know "flash hiders" are the devils creation and make a rifle more lethal.

If you want to research it more get a hold of a copy of "The Lee-Enfield Story", great reference on the Lee Enfield in most all it's versions.

Jim

Comment

Take care if you're going to shoot It, they kick like you wouldn't believe. More than 10 rounds and you WILL be sore I guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
              Take care if you're going to shoot It, they kick like you wouldn't believe. More than 10 rounds and you WILL be sore I guarantee.
              hah yah, the .303 packs a punch, plus the Jungle Carbine being so light doenst help with the kick at all! :P

I want to get a limb saver buttstock protector for it for when I shoot, but I really dont plan on shooting it round after round, just a few shots here and there for fun.

Plus, .303 british rounds are like a 1.50 each here in Canada! :P

Comment

Originally posted by AMAC50 View Post
                Ian Skennerton's "The Lee-Enfield Story" two variants of the front sight/bayonet, one is the N0.4 rifle style mounting the spike type bayonets, and the N0.5 rifle which takes the blade No.5 bayonet and a combined flash hider. Yours appears to be cut off as is the bayonet stud. Two possibilities, one it was an attempt to "sporterize" it for hunting, or, two, it was removed to make it "civilian legal". That so a bayonet could not be mounted and the terror inducing flash hider was gone, we all know "flash hiders" are the devils creation and make a rifle more lethal.

If you want to research it more get a hold of a copy of "The Lee-Enfield Story", great reference on the Lee Enfield in most all it's versions.

Jim
                See, we thought that too, but usually when you cut the muzzle off you will see marks but when you look at mine, its as smooth as a babies ass.. I admit, the Bayo nut coulda been cut and then grinded, but the muzzle is so nicley done even a PRO would have a hard time. My Buddy who is a gun smith (and owned the gun) has cuts many of barrels and he is even amazed.

I will take more pics of the muzzle so you can see, this is why I posted it here, to see if you guys knew of any other variants..

thanks for the replys!

-Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
                  If you can't use it don't play with it, 10 rounds, the barrel's not even warm and you give up.

Comment

I've been collecting and shooting Lee-Enfields for 35 years or better. Trust me, the flash hider on your No.5 has been cut. The cone and the bayonet lug have been removed. It isn't some rare variation, it isn't special, it's Bubba'd. It is a fairly common modification. You can find a replacement. Changing one isn't rocket science but does require some mechanical ability, some equipment and an understanding of what you are doing. The flash hider is held on by two pins that run crosswise to the barrel.
                    The pins are tapered so it matters which direction you drive them out. You will also need a press to remove the old one and install the new one.

If you don't have access to a press have your gunsmith do the work. You can shoot your rifle as is without any danger or damage. The cut flash hider will effect resale value if/when you decide to sell it.

Don't listen to the nonsense about excessive recoil. The No.5 is not nearly as bad as several other military carbines. If you want to shoot something that has more recoil than it needs try a Queen Wilhemina or Princess Juliana carbine. They were 98 Mausers with a 17 inch barrel shooting full house 8mm Mauser rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean View Post
                      If you can't use it don't play with it, 10 rounds, the barrel's not even warm and you give up.
                      Well, I obviously don't have the cohones for It.

My Father used to shoot one In the 80's and I always found It a bit of a beast. Mind you I suppose I was only 14 or 15 at the time and not of the heaviest of builds, unlike now . I have always thought the No#5 was the prettiest of the lot.

Hope you enjoy shooting It Dire, let us know how you got on.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

I have owned many of these rifles over the years, yes they do kick and they kick hard, you can soften the kick by handloading ammo and running mild loads, for range work I used 140gr Soft Pointed projectiles, but for hunting I used 185gr SPs its these heavy loads that make em kick , I only had one other Carbine that kicked remotely like it and that was a Martini Henry Police Carbine, oh jesus did this little guy kick, I have a Spanish la Guardia Carbine in 7.62 Ive just had reworked to a heavy barrel this thing kicked but I still give it to the Enfield, my dad was issued one of these in 1970 when he was a copper in the Northern Territory, this and a 32 Beretta,

If you can go to a range and tag of 200 rounds through a No5 and not have a sore shoulder the next morning your a brave man.

They reckon the No5 have a wandering zero issue, cant say I ever had this problem, my last Carbine had a Mk4 barrel fitted to it with no reliefs on the knox form, this rifle would shoot accurately to 500 yards, I wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of one, so shoot the thing, enjoy it dont let it sit there in silence as so many do, I still shoot 303 but mainly the No1 Mk3 Heavy barreled fellas I have, I miss my little thumper I will get another one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dropbear68 View Post

If you can go to a range and tag of 200 rounds through a No5 and not have a sore shoulder the next morning your a brave man.

They reckon the No5 have a wandering zero issue,
                          Sure, they have a bit of recoil and your shoulder may be sore the next day, but it's really not so bad that it would ever prevent me from firing it. I brought mine shooting last week and let two friends shoot it for the first time. I told them that some people complain about the kick just as a matter of full disclosure. Both of them didn't think the kick was anything that extreme. We proceeded to shoot 100 rounds of military surplus ammo that day in addition to many rounds of 7.62 and everyone wanted to keep going but it was getting dark. No offense guys, but I always chuckle to myself when I hear someone complain about how much the No5 kicks. There are rifles out there much worse than this one.

As for the wandering zero myth, it is simply that, a myth. Around the time that the No5 was issued the British army was also looking at some other firearms. The troops hearing that there was a new piece of gucci kit available wanted to rid themselves of the "old" enfield and get something new so they began complaining about the No5 in the hopes of forcing the army to abandon it in favor of something new. One of the unfounded complaints was that the rifle had a wandering zero. I've owned several No5 rifles over the years and have never had a problem with the zero shifting. And why would it? The rifle is simply a shortened version of the No4 rifle which was a proven design and made an excellent sniper rifle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X