UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badges from the early occupation of Germany.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badges from the early occupation of Germany.

Hi Guys, I though that I would show a few badges from the very early post war period. These are from my wife's collection

First is the cap badge for the "Control Commision Germany". This organisation was set up in the British sector to help administer and police the area. Personnel were a mixture of both service and uniformed civillian personel.

Cheers, Ade.

Slip on shoulder titles for the Civillain Officers of the Military Govt.

Comment

Here is the above slip on title in wear. This photo was taken in 1945/46. If you look very closely you can also see the shoulder flash of the CCG. This is the red sheild/blue cross of the British troops in Germany, but superimposed with the yellow letters, CCG.

The lady in the centre of the photo is Mrs Elizabeth Munn. This lady was a member of the FANY, but she was actually an SOE operative. We own her uniforms and paperwork

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Close up on the title
        Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Adrian Stevenson]
          First is the cap badge for the "Control Commision Germany". This organisation was set up in the British sector to help administer and police the area. Personnel were a mixture of both service and uniformed civillian personel.

I've got a "Charlie Chaplins Grenadiers" badge, the rear fittings are west / east loops rather than a slider. The loops are of the flat stamped sheet brass variety, rather than the usual copper wire type. I have a number of badges with this feature, all badges that were worn by both British & by Canadian units like the Seaforths (or Pictou Highlanders?), the Black Watch (or Canadian Black Watch?) & associate these flat loops with Canadian manufacture. CCG seems the sort of badge that may well be manufactured in Canada, how firm is the theory that flat brass loops = Canadian manufacture?

Comment

Hi Leigh, I had not heard of the "Charlie Chaplins Grenadiers" before

I would say that a Canadian made version of this badge sounds perfectly reasonable.

Last week Lez and I visited an antique shop. In it was a large colourised portrait photograph; it was described as a "Bandsman" on the price ticket. The wearer was in a full dress uniform (pre 1914 I would think?) which was coloured a pale reddish brown with yellow/gold cuff and collar lace etc. On his cap was the "CCG" badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

[QUOTE=Adrian Stevenson] .......a large colourised portrait photograph; it was described as a "Bandsman" on the price ticket. The wearer was in a full dress uniform (pre 1914 I would think?) which was coloured a pale reddish brown with yellow/gold cuff and collar lace etc. On his cap was the "CCG" badge.

This sounds interesting, but was it definitely the CCG badge & not something similar? (not that I can think what something similar would be). I suppose that there's the possibility of a post war CCG man wearing some kind of full dress for public parade military pageant type purposes, but if the photo had the appearance of being pre 1914.........?

Comment

Hi Leigh, the photo was certainly a typical 1940's job. Had it have been priced cheaper, it was £40, I might have bought it? But it was too expensive for what it was.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is a scan of the lady shown in the earlier photo. It is just possible to see a "CCG" gilt button on her tunic. The photo was taken in Minden in March 1946.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I was at a local auction and there was a black beret with that very badge on it ,except it was made out of some cheap metal ,sold for £33 along with a black helmet I was willing to go to £21 ,but as happens a lot nowadays at general auctions people get a bit carried away ,Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB
                      ..........it was made out of some cheap metal .............,Rob
                      Hiya, do you mean a "white" metal, grey alloy or whatever? Something that a gold or brass coloured coating has worn off? I know nothing about these things, but thinking along the lines of Germany, immediately post war, could these things be "CCG zincers"", like some of the TR insignia - gold wash over grey metal etc? Then again could be any white metal or whatever with coating worn off, interesting.

Comment

It was more of a cheap thin coppery coloured metal that had had a gilt wash which was coming away Rob
                        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB
                          It was more of a cheap thin coppery coloured metal that had had a gilt wash which was coming away Rob
                          I'll have a closer look at mine when I get a chance, I think it has that slightly "laquered" appearance, as I've mentioned already I think it's Canadian because of the flat stamped sheet brass loops.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X