RFC KIA Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFC KIA Group

Hello everyone, just thought I'd show this little group of treasures.....This chap was 2nd Lt. Arthur Courtney Williams RFC. Born and Raised in Toronto, he graduated flight school and became an Instructor at Camp Hoare/Borden, training other Canadian Pilots. His life came to an end when the following happened (Taken from the Toronto Star)

"September 18 1917
    The worst accident ever seen so far at Camp Hoare occurred shortly before noon on Tuesday resulting in a horrible death for two aviators, Second Lieut. Arthur Williams of Toronto and Cadet Ludford of Venezuela.
    The Accident happened near the Pine River in the western part of Camp Borden, during the military maneouvres of the infantry forces, and was witnessed by several thousand men. Several Aeroplanes were in the air, hovering over the line of parade, and evidently taking advantage of their opportunity to advance their training by making observations on troops in the line of march, when a machine tried to cross behind that of Lt. Williams, but crashed into it instead.
    The hit machine dropped to the ground, a distance of several hundret feet, taking fire as it fell. Just after it struck the ground the gasoline tank exploded. Lt. Williams' head was almost completely severed from his body, while the top of Cadet Ludford's skull was taken off. Both Bodies were burned almost beyond recognition. The Aviator in the other machine was not badly injured.
    Second Lieut. Arthur Courtney Williams was a son of Mrs. E.G Williams, 101 Spadina Road. He was 21 years of age and enlisted with the RFC in April. He had qualified as pilot and had been appointed instructor in aerial gunnery.
    Cadet John Edward Ludford was a member of the American Flying Corps. He was in his 20th year and came from Caracas Venezuela. "

This excerpt is the wording in the middle of the tall frame, as are his shoulder flashes, cap badge, Wings and Rank Pips. There are Cadet photos and photos of him as an officer. Also of interest is the Aircraft ID Plate from his Curtiss JN-4 aircraft. Several larger phptos exist in the group....even more than I have pictured here, as well as letters he wrote and some other insignia. Letters from the King, the Privy Purse and the Death Plaque are also included.....

This is by far my most favourite grouping. It's the whole reason why I'm in this hobby.....to remember the people, and tell their stories.

I must also ask the Cliché question....anyone have any idea what an insurance value for this set might be?

Cheers!

Dear god my friend, that is an amazing grouping! In particular I really like the dtata plate from the Jenny.

Did you put together the display on your own, or did you come across it as such?

Sending you a PM re. insurance value.

Comment

Hi Greg, thanks for the comment, My grandfather built the white frame for me, and the other pieces (plaque, gov't letters and photos) were framed by his mother back in 1918.....They all still have the studio's information on the back. I should also mention that I still have the original gov't envelopes from the letters and notices, as well as his sidecap..... The whole set is mounted on a short wall by itself in my "hangar"......I've spent many an hour simply staring at it

Comment

I'm dismayed that there has not been any more interest in this thread.

I cannot remeber the exact numbers but if I recall correctly almost as many members of the rfc lost their lives during training or in flying acidents as they did in combat.

These really were the pioneers of aviation. We take for granted flying in a pressurized airliner and think nothing of soaring through the sky, but these young men faced cold weather, unstable aicraft and the daily threat of death just to be the first in the air.

Comment

Simply extraordinary group Mike. A very poignant article to be sure. And yes Greg the RFC lost 85 trainees a month for the better part of a year and a half then those casualties began to drop towards the end.

They really were brave men.

Comment

Excellent

My own RFC collection is slowly expanding but I certainly don't anything to compare with this grouping.

Regards,
            Bob.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic.!!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments chaps If you've got RFC to share, I encourage you to do so!
                Cheers!

Comment

GREAT display!!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Mike
                    Congratulations on this great collection!
                    It is very gratifying that preserves many memories of these men.
                    I saw your collection with great interest because for some time investigated the life of Cadet Ludford.
                    Inside this collection of photographs, Cadet Ludford is in some pictures? Could share?
                    Thanks for sharing all this.
                    Greetings!
                    Dario

Comment

OUTSTANDING display!
                      I;d love to see anything else you have that is RFC related

Comment

Yep great group but I do not think the Data Plate is original to the group. I can't seem to find that mark and number combination in the list of 'Jennys' I have.

As well if the plane crashed and burned the plate would of gone up with the rest of it.

Doesn't detract form it at all though.

Comment

Hi byterock, as the story goes from Williams' mother from whom the group was acquired years ago, the plate was given to her along with his personal effects from the base (wings badges etc...).....I would imagine if the original one, it could have been blown clear of the fire.

Hi Dario, if you are still monitoring this thread, I'm sorry I missed your post! Sadly I have no information on Ludford, only Williams

Cheers!

Comment

Mike
                            Another fantastic addition to your great collection. I take it that description of the accident was from a news paper or something. I find it a bit bizzar that they would go to so much detail about the poor blokes injuries. Different world back then I suppose.
                            Bruce

Comment

Hmm!! Well a good story on the Data-Plate but it my just be that.

A Jenny would of burned to total ashes and if there was a plate it would of been destroyed.

I was checking some blue-prints of the Jenny and I could not see the data plate on it. I also sent out a few emails to see if there where data plates on the Jenny,

Just one other thing I have noticed is that the aircraft could not be a JN4-A (at least legally) It would have to be a JN4-Can as the Canadian Aeroplanes Ltd had exclusive rights to Canada.

Here we are getting into very odd patent law stuff as there was some sort of patent agreement with the Wright Bros on what airplane models they could sell.

If I am remembering correctly the 'American' Made airplanes where not allowed to be flown in Canada.

That I would have to do a little more research on.

The other funny thing Is I could not find '.Arthur Courtney Williams' attestation papers on his name is a 'roll' of honour or book of remembrance of the RCAF/CAF/RCF

Doesn't mean much though.

Will have to look up the Star for that day and see if the 'report' is there. You can do this online but it does cost about 7 bucks

a

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X