Para helmet???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para helmet???

Bought out a huge collection of stuff, mostly German but this Beret and helmet was among the stuff. The beret looks like moths made a nice meal of it but its dated 1944 inside.
    The helmet is whats a bit more confusing. The front has a yellow anchor and maybe a bird or flower design. Im afraid to take it apart to get a better look as I dont want to break the netting.
    Ive looked around the net and the closest thing it looks like is a brit para helmet... if anyone can tell me what this actually is I'll be greatful.
    Thanks!

Possibly Polish

Greetings Hessian: From the pictures supplied , the helmet looks like a british 3rd pattern with web strapping. Is there a date on the liner. The only insignia I can venture a guess at being yellow and going by your description as possibly being a bird (without seeing better photos) is a Polish eagle(which IF it was would be a great acquisition). These are very hard to find originals of.The beret is a very nice looking example also but as mentined before, more photos and better ones would be needed to confirm.
    Best Regards
    Zeke

Comment

Thanks Zeke
      The beret is pretty moth eaten but the silver wings on the front are very nice.

The helmet insignia IS a bird, looks like its on an anchor(?)

I will look for a date on the liner. Is there a place they were usually marked?

Thanks again

Comment

The beret is a reproduction and so is the metal wing on it as far as I can tell from these pictures.The helmet was repainted and the polish eagle added.I would say reanactment gear.The helmet itself could be wartime,but again better pictures are needed.

Regards Johan

Comment

Originally posted by jelle View Post
          The beret is a reproduction
          I think my self looking at the pictures the beret is a Compton & Webb.

Comment

Hi Patrick

As far as I know these compton&web berets are repro,allthough compton&web did make red berets in ww2 they were stamped differently.Luc showed me the correct stamp once I believe.But I stand to be corrected.

Regards Johan

Comment

Gents
              Here are some more photos with the net removed and a close up of the para device.

Comment

Hi Hessian

The beretbadge is a fake,I am sorry.The helmet is as I said postwar repainted and the fake polish eagle sprayed on.On the leather liner There should be a makersmark ,size and date,if not it is hard to date the helmet as they were made postwar aswell.Please also add a picture of the makersmark of the beret.

Regards Johan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X