Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAN Sailors cap - Opinions Please!

Collectors,

Just came across this RANR - Royal Australian Navy Reserves cap and wondered what period it was made in and also any info regarding the Sailor D.Patterson, have done some research on the appropriate web sites but have unfortunately come up with very little even though I have a service number....

Anyhow any thoughts please express them

Cheers for looking!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

this is postwar as CGCF (Commonwealth Government Clothing Factory) was a post-war manufacturer. I am assuming you're trying to research him on the WW2 roll? I also checked the Korean war roll however he is not listed.

- Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, thanks for the response mate..

Ok so this is post war, who was a war period maker and does anyone have an example in there collection of a period WW2 Aussie navy Cap?? Please post any relevant info please

As for the Salior I can't find a thing about him in regards to his service records. There was something scribbled in pen inside the cap so I will check that to see if its anything relevant.

Bit of a mystery indeed!!!

Comment

It is from a Royal Australian Naval Reserve member, and post 1979 as records from prior to 1980 are available online.

Hope that helps.

Grant

Comment

Hi Grant,

Ok well that explains why i can't find it in any searches... To be honest it was sold to me as a WW2 period example and I just bought it because it was SUPER cheap so no major drama on it not being what it is supposed to be..

Still a nice example and a good footing to learn more about the RAN stuff

Thanks for the help guys but would still love to see a period example with correct manufacturer so I know what to look out for in the future! Anybody???

Cheers

JustinC

Comment

the AWM have a few in their collection. Use the term "sailors caps" in the search.

They all seem to have this description in common:

"The dark blue wool cap has a whitened canvas cover with two brass eyelet vent holes on each side. Internally, the cap is lined with brown cotton headlining with an adjustable drawstring and a cotton sweat band."

- Chris

Comment

The cap was (and probably still is) a Cap Seamans Class 2. They were worn by junior sailors. Petty Officers (equivelent to a USN 1st Class Petty Officer) changed to a peaked cap after one years service in the rank. Until about 1960 they were made of a white duck canvas then they became plastic. On joining the navy in 1963 I was issued with two caps one in plastic and one in canvas. The canvas one was manufactured in 1944 so they were still getting rid of surplus WW2 stocks. The canvas was a pain in the butt as it had to be cleaned with a white cleaner and this used to run in the rain (wonderful when wearing your best blues) The plastic usually just wiped off with a damp cloth. You can guess how long the canvas cap took to be replaced

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X