Now that's real History !

A superb set

Gary J.

Comment

Superb complete grouping I guess it was not cheap . Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Robb,
          It was not that expensive either considering it was for bomb disposal (there where about 10 awarded) and being a 1940 award as well.
          I have seen other George Medals groups sell for a lot more than what I managed to get this one for.

Gareth

Here is another photograph of him pre-war in the Sudan,
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
            I can't imagine digging down to a UXB and just taking the fuse out with so little instruction.
            This was the real trial and error period before bomb disposal became a science.

All the best, Gareth

Comment

VERY NICE!!!!

Comment

Fantastic to see. George Lythgoe was my Great uncle/ fathers uncle, I may be able to get more info on him. Are these going to be on public display?

Comment

Great! "Clock stopper on!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert View Post
                    Thanks for the info. I thought, that the 1939-1945 Star was only awarded for service outside the UK and the other areas (like India) only qualifying for the Defence Medal, but maybe I´m mistaken.
                    It was also given as follows

"The star was immediately awarded if the service period was terminated by death, disability or wounding. The award of a gallantry medal or a Mention in Dispatches also led to an immediate award."

So he got it along with the GM.

Comment

Kenneth Lythgoe

After the war I'm told Kenneth Lythgoe became and engine inspector for Jaguar.

Comment

FYI. As well as qualifying for the 1939-45 Star, men working in UXB units could qualify for either "Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-1949" or "Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-1956" clasps to the General Service Medal [1918-1964], the only clasps issued for service in the Uk until the "Northern Ireland" clasp to the current GSM.

The qualification period was 180 days unless wounded, killed, MID or earning an award. The clasps were authorized because the work was so dangerous, especially in areas in which local defence units had mined beaches and then either destroyed or altered the maps of the minefields to deny the info. to any invaders! That would be a group too, if he'd stayed on in that 'trade'!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X