British TFW Medal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British TFW Medal question

Could anyone please help me clarify the award criteria for the British WWI Territorial Force War Medal?

According to the Medal Year Book the recipient qualified thus, -

To have volunteered for overseas war service before 30 September 1914.
    To have completed four years Territorial service by that date.
    To have served outwith the UK anytime between 4 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.
    To have not already been eligible for the 1914 or 14-15 Stars (i.e. not to have served in a theatre of war during 1914 or 1915).

I have, or have had, two TFWM’s to volunteers in the Gordon Highlanders who were both killed in action during 1916, both at the age of only 18. If they had volunteered for active war service in 1914 they would have been only 16 years old (deemed too young for overseas service and no doubt held back for Depot duties thus not being eligible for either of the Stars). If I’m reading the Medal Year book correctly they had to have completed four years service with the Territorial before 30 September 1914 which would make them only about 12 when joining the Territorials!?!?

Surely not? Any idea where I’ve mucked up??
    Attached Files

Here's what it says in Howard Williamsons book,'The Collectors and Researchers Guide to The Great War'.
    This medal was awarded to all members of the Territorial Forcewho were members of the service on 4th August 1914 and to those who had completed four years service prior to 4th August 1914,on the condition that they had rejoined the force on,or prior,to 30th September 1914.
    Members had to meet other criteria.First, they must have undertaken, on or before 30th September 1914, to serve outside the UK; secondly, to have served outside the UK between 4th August 1914 and 11th November 1918; thirdly,to have not qualified for either the 1914 or 1914/15 Star.

So basically they had to be members of the force on 4th August 1914,or have served previously and then rejoined by 30th September 1914.
    So as you say they were probably held back until old enough to fight.

Hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

That’s a big help, cheers for clearing that up, I guess I must have been miss-reading or miss-interpreting the Medal Year Book...doh.

Comment

Don't worry, it's a bit of a git to decypher. Basically, it was awarded to serving TF soldiers who'd been in uniform for a while before kick off, and who'd signed up for overseas service (and were issued the Imperial Service Badge), and who didn't qualify for the 1914 or 14-15 Stars. As most (who went overseas) did, it is often confusing when it's stated that all TF soldiers & nurses were eligible - which they clearly weren't.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+Service+Badge
        Last edited by Tony Farrell; 02-06-2004, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for that Tony, I found the Medal Year Books description a bit ambiguous and it just left me scratching my head...maybe time to buy myself another medal book instead of simply Regimental histories.

Here’s the other TFWM I just picked up at Christmas, a simple little group but flippin’ next to impossible to find to the Gordons since all their Territorial Btlns. were over in France by 1915 and received one of the Stars.

Cheers again for the extra info!
          Attached Files

Comment

One very nice trio indeedy. One thing that has always irritated me about the TFWM is that it comes after the Victory Medal (technically a 'foreign' award) in the O of P. One would have thought it would have come after the stars and before the BWM. But that's me being bloody logical isn't it - and since when has logic & medals gone together?

Reverse shot for the curious:
            Attached Files

Comment

Good point Tony, I wondered about the medal positioning as well and the only explanation I came up with (made up, he,he) was that it was viewed in the same category as any Territorial award as opposed to a campaign award so was whacked on the end of the groups in the same way as say a Volounteer Long Service or Efficiency Medal? Just my guess and probably incorrect otherwise I don’t suppose the Medal Year Book wouldn’t have it in the “campaign” section.

Really nice wee Imperial Service Badge you showed there, I don’t have one of them but will be on the lookout...god, it’s never ending, there’s always something else to get...here’s a couple of pics showing the badges being worn for anyone who’s interested. Pte. Robert Coutts of the Shetland Company, 4th Gordons (City of Aberdeen T.F.), KIA 13 November 1916, and Sandy Kemp from Buckie, KIA as 2nd Lieut. with the 6th Gordons (Banff and Donside T.F.) May 1917.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X