A question about British Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about British Army Officers

What is the exact difference between the following?

Regular Category Late Entry Officers

Special Regular Officers

Short Service Late Entry Officers

Short Service Officers

Thanx for looking

www.army.mod.uk will answer some of your questions.

Regards
    Jim

Comment

Hmmm...didn't look at the site yet, but as i remember STOs are NCOs or WOs commissioned specifically to do a specific job in the Regt.-like Families officer or whatnot. Short Service Late Entrys are officers commissioned @3 years who are senior NCOs at the end of their enlistment and I think SSos are 3 year commissions.

Tony??? Glenn???

Comment

LE: Is basicaly from the ranks (rankers), a commissioned WO 1 or rarely WO 2 or CSGT/SSGT. I knew a WO 2 in my Corps who did this (common place in the TA) there are restricted numbers however each year. The rank they would be commissioned to is Captain.

They then would serve a duration of 6-7 years something like that as Short Service Commission.

At the end of that duration criteria fitting, age etc This can be processed/converted to a Short Regular Commission so they can serve until they are 50 years of age.

In the regular army (I don't know about TA) this can then be extended further to the age of 55 if fitting the criteria and promoted then to the rank of Major, there is a limited entry availability on this.

This is how 'rankers' get to Lieutenant Colonel.

'Special' I'm not familar with could be a Reserve or TA Officer S- Type ?

Kind rgards,

Marcus

Comment

Many Thanks to M & M

These are categories in the Army Lists, and I needed confirmation. I was pretty sure that the LE were rankers 'with polish' but could find nothing to confirm this. I also remember reading somewhere that LE do not get above Major, but there are quite a few Lieutenant Colonels.

Information like this is harder to come by that I initially thought.

As for Special Regular Officers and Special Regular Officers Late Entry almost every active branch has a few (not a lot) and this is confounding me.

TA doesn't have such designations as active does.

These forums are magnificent !!!!!
          Last edited by David S; 02-05-2004, 02:51 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X