Aiguillette question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiguillette question

Here's a picture of a silver Aiguillette from a British uniform. Any ideas as to the significance?

Cheers.
    Attached Files

???

Anyone?

Comment

the symbol on the Aiguillette is known as "fasces." You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces

I am not aware of the British ever using it in their military so I am thinking that the Aiguillette may not be original to the uniform.

- Chris

Comment

Every reference book I have on British uniforms describes aiguilettes as gold in color, not silver. As the earlier poster stated, I don't believe these are British in orgin.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

odd

That's what I thought. Could be a foreign award, but if so what award?

If they are not original to the patrol tunic, then why would they be added? Does really make any sense.

Comment

looks Italian ww2 (?)

Comment

Fasces certainly do appear on British/Commonwealth Aiguillettes, I remember remarking that it seemed an unusual insignia when I've worn them in the past.

I wonder if the silver appearance is perhaps from the photo rather than the actual colour? Silver would be an oddity but perhaps some unit does wear them that I am not aware of?

Comment

info

Adam, the tunic is a medical/RAMC patrol. The colour is silver.

BTW, what regiment/unit were you in?

Ash.

Comment

Haven't had time but some initial research suggests silver is correct for RAMC. This reference from the British Medical Journal mentions it specifically:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/25278267

I don't have any British dress regulations to hand but no doubt it will be outlined in detail there as well.

So, I would say probably quite correct. The pattern and design is definitely right... Nice to see.

I've been in several regiments/units over the years, Mosapie.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

ta

Cheers for the information, Adam. Looks to be a seldom seen uniform piece, that was only for formal wear.

Regards,

Ash.

Comment

Originally posted by mosapie View Post
                      Adam, the tunic is a medical/RAMC patrol. The colour is silver.

BTW, what regiment/unit were you in?

Ash.
                      Hi,
                      I've just left the RAMC as a Sgt Major and have NEVER seen anything like these, nor does it have the correct buttons. Can you post a pic of the whole tunic.

Comment

G

Hi:

This is a General's tunic, so the buttons would be correct.

Comment

I'm also ex-RAMC, and have never seen the likes, either??? Cavalry types, yes.

Is this a pre-war tunic?

KR

Marcus

Comment

post war

Hi:

This is post-war. Check out this link:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/25278267?cookieSet=1

Read the first paragraph. This came from one of the earlier posts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X