Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW I General

Hi:

Looking for some information on a possible British General who served prior to WW I. His name is (B.R.) SIMPSON.

Also, what does an "R" signify next to rank badges on a uniform?

Cheers.

My 1909 and 1913 Army Lists have numerous Simpsons listed, both active,reserve, and retired. None with initials B.R. Have you any more information?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

info

Major general who served in Sudan, received Order of the Bath.

Ash.

Comment

Could be Maj.Gen. C.R. Simpson, CB,p.s.c., in 1913 GOC Mauritius. Passed Staff College in 1896 as a half-pay brevet col. in Middlesex Regt. Highest rank was MG, became colonel of The Lincolnshire Regt. May 5, 1914, and still listed as such in the April, 1938 Army List (!). I'm guessing that he originally served in the Lincolns, who were present in the 1898 Sudan campaign.
        Unfortunately, next to nothing on him in Hart's 1909 Army List, which includes service details on officers. Appears no active WWI service.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Had another thought & checked 1881 Army List, and found Lieut. Charles Rudyard Simpson, 2nd Battn, Lincolnshire Regt.,from Sept., 1874. Guessing he was born circa 1860 or so.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thanks

Cheers for all the help Bob.

Regards,

Ash.

Comment

My mind is working.......slowly, but working! Just took a look at the book "Omdurman Diaries 1898", by John Meredith. Our friend Simpson is mentioned numerous times in the book, as he took over temporary command of the 1st Lincolns after the CO was seriously wounded at The Atbara.
              The book consists of edited diary entries of a Private in the 1st Lincolns, along with an officer of the battn., and 2 others. The last mention of Simpson in the book is by the officer (a Lieut.), saying "Simpson as usual lost his head. What a miserable ass that chap is." Not exactly a ringing endoresement.
              The book was published in 1998, and I would guess you could find a copy without too much difficulty, if interested.
              Glad to help.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X