small arnhem group question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small arnhem group question

i picked up a nice little group to a corpal in the royal artillary(??) who was at arnhem complete with his medals discharge papers and a ticket to a arnhem reunion for vets in i think 63(still can belive i got it for 60 euos!! but then nobady was bidding on it!!) but i was wondering if there was a place on the good old internet where i can research him or is it going to be abit harder???
    thanks for any reply!!!

Hi Paddywhack, I might be able to help you on this Arnhem is my pet subject. Drop me a line.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

PS. I forgot to add that his unit should be listed on the back page of his discharge papers.

There were basically three units of artillery at Arnhem;

The largest element was 1st Air Landing Light Regt. These had US made 75mm pack Howitzers.

Two batteries of Anti Tank guns:
      1st Airlanding Anti tank Battery RA. These had 17prd A/T guns.
      2nd (Oban) Airlanding Anti tank Battery RA. These had 6prd A/T guns.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hey Patrick,

Can you post a photo of the items. Sounds like you did well.

Des

Comment

hi des good to hear from you!at the moment Adrian is having a look at them cos at the momnet im not to sure of what to make of them! and if Adrian would be kind enough to post them for me id be glad to show them!!
          thanks!!

Comment

Hi Guys, here are the scans from Paddywhack. Forget the Royal Artillery connection. I am not quite sure where you got that from Paddy?

This chap was in the Royal Engineers. However, his serial number 23536038 is Post War. WW2 era RE serial numbers ran from 1,842,001 to 2,303,000. All his documents are post war too.

Here is the first one, giving notice to join the reserves "in the event".

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Next document. As can be seen, this one is a discharge document.
              Attached Files

Comment

This one is an invite to the Arnhem Veterans reception in 1985. This was held at the Elizabeth Hospital (now sadly pulled down except for the front facade )

The problem with these kind of invites is they are not "Vets only" events. Current serving sqaddies often go along (as they are in units that fought at Arnhem or people such as myself get invites as they work with Veterans groups)
                Attached Files

Comment

Here are the medals. They are not mounted in the correct regulation order. "Stars" should come first.

So what do we have here?

Firstly, you certainly you got you monies worth. At best. the medals of a Vet who's son went into the Forces post war. At worst, a cobbled together "group".

I will try and find a Arnhem soldier with this surname, but, not all are listed by any means. Some units are covered much better than others.
                  Cheers, Ade.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of medals.
                    Attached Files

Comment

thanks for that Adrian! worst case i got a nice set of medals worth about 60 euros!! to be honest i only bid on cos nobaody else did!! as they say i payed my money and toke my chance!!!though it was mistake when i said royal artilly(??)!!
                      well i guess we will have to see what can be found out about the guy!!and i was wondering why the stars wernt 1st!! but there you go!!
                      thanks again to adrian for helping me out!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X